Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan

These green stalks of beauty come as a welcome respite from all the flour, potatoes, butter and sugar that has seemed to flood my life in recent weeks. There was Cheesy Garlic Bread, Dutch Baby PancakesDeep-Fried Ravioli, and oh boy, the pièce de résistanceHomemade Barbecue Potato Chips.

Consider it a digital cleanse. Say it with me now, “I will not fry, butter or cheese-ify anything for one entire post.”

Simply give fresh asparagus a toss in olive oil, a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a good old-fashioned, artery-cleansing roast in the oven. And then top them off with Parmesan curls.

Well, I guess two out of three isn’t bad.

Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan

Prep Time: 5 min

Cook Time: 20 min

2 pounds fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black Pepper
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray it lightly with cooking spray.

Arrange the trimmed asparagus on the cookie sheet and drizzle them with olive oil, giving them a quick turn to ensure that they're evenly coated.

Sprinkle the asparagus with Kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

Roast the asparagus for 15 to 20 minutes, just until they're tender but still crisp.

Remove the asparagus from the oven and then sprinkle them immediately with Parmesan cheese and serve.

Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa Parties.

9 Responses to “Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan”

Laurie@TheBakingBookworm — June 13, 2011 at 11:20 am

I adore asparagus too. This is one of my favourite ways to eat it … especially drizzled with some of my beloved balsamic!!!

• Kelly replied: — June 13th, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

The addition of balsamic would be perfect … and still keep it on the lighter side. I’ll have to add a splash next time!

Jessica @ Balancing the Dream — June 15, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I just discovered your blog through Pinterest! And I’ll have to tell you I am hooked!!! Thanks for sharing these awesome recipes!! I can’t wait to see more!!

• Kelly replied: — June 15th, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

Welcome, Jessica! I’m so glad you stumbled across the site. Enjoy the recipes and feel free to submit requests to kelly@justataste.com. Enjoy!

amelia from z tasty life — June 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I love grilled asparagus with Parmigiano!
    Sometimes I also add a poached or fried egg on the side, to dip the spears in… (we call these “alla milanese”)

JulieD — June 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I love roasted asparagus completely plain with just olive oil, S & P…never thought to add parm cheese. I’m definitely going to next time! :)

Skinny Fat Kid — June 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Made the exact same this weekend but grilled mine! Awesome way to serve up asparagus!

Bryon Peterson — June 23, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I grill a very similar recipe quite often, delicious! Sometimes I’ll sprinkle a bit of dried rosemary on during grilling, adds a bit of rustic flavor and a lovely aroma. Yum!

1. Pingback: Just a Taste » Cheesecake Brownie Bites