72 Hours in Paris

I missed the fireworks and barbecue this Fourth of July and headed to Paris for a tour of the city’s iconic sights and classic eats. And while the average tourist’s checklist might include a familiar lineup of stops at the Eiffel Tower, Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe and Louvre, my itinerary included the following:

1. Pain au Chocolat
  2. Macarons
  3. Crepes
  4. Steak Frites
  5. Champagne

I planned the complete Tour de Cuisine, and managed to sneak in a stop or two at national monuments along the way. My travel partner and I devised the ultimate strategy to balance Paris’ breathtaking views with its equally as awe-inspiring tastes. A few cost-effective tips learned along the way also allowed us to mind our budget and still indulge.

Between bites of baguette slathered in unsalted butter and sips of Rosé, we not only explored Paris by calories, but also by foot. A handful of fruit-filled macarons and a Nutella and coconut crepe in the same day (and by “day,” I mean hour) was enjoyed guilt-free after walking more than 7.5 miles on day one and climbing 420+ steps to the top of the Notre Dame Cathedral.

Day two added 6.5 miles to our pedometer, balancing out a Pain au Chocolat and the best Steak Frites I’ve had to date. Four or five more miles were an easy feat when a tasting at Guy Savoy was the finish line. And while a view of the Mona Lisa and a trip to Versailles undoubtedly lived up to the hype, what I am most excited about is that we discovered – through recommendation or by random happening – some of the best culinary finds in the form of cheap eats and world-class meals alike.

And with just 72 hours to spend touring eating, I captured each bite to share my recommendations with you. Getting around by foot for a majority of the trip meant steering clear of pricey taxis, and it also allowed us to explore every nook and cranny—both along side streets and in pastries. I would highly recommend any of the following stops in Paris to get your calories’ worth at one of the world’s most indulgent destinations.

Paris Culinary Recommendations:

• Macarons at Rollet Pradier (32, rue Bourgogne)
  • Steak Frites at L’Entrecote de Paris (29, rue de Marignan)
  • Regional Wine Tasting Class at Ô Chateau (68, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau)
  • Seasonal Tasting Menu at Guy Savoy (18, rue Troyon)
  • Any and every Pain au Chocolat you can get your hands on

Comments

1. 1
    #

Noma says

Merci beaucoup, Kelly, for a birds eye view of Paris! Your photos are tres bien!

• Kelly replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 1:35 am

Bonjour, Noma!

2. 2
    #

says

Wait, wait – YOU were in Paris last week??? I’m here for the whole month – would have loved to have met up for some macarons! I wholeheartedly agree with your suggestions – having worked around the corner from Rollet for a few years, it was my “local” for lunch and pastries!! Glad you had fun!

• Kelly replied: — July 11th, 2011 @ 11:30 am

That would’ve been so fun! Enjoy the rest of your month there – I had the absolute best time!

3. 3
    #

says

I was in Paris in April and I did the same: eating a lot. Croissants, crepes, macarons everyday. I was nearly in a sugar coma. But I had to taste everything! :)

4. 4
    #

Marilyn says

Next time try Chez Marie Louise owned by our friend, Christophe Letienne. Tres fantastique!

• Kelly replied: — July 11th, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Thank you for the recommendation, Marilyn! I will definitely have to try Chez Marie next time. Hope you all are doing well!

5. 5
    #

says

Great post and I’m so glad to connect with you. I was just in Italy for 7 days, but I only had 14 hours in Rome. I love how you captured your moments in Paris!

• Kelly replied: — July 12th, 2011 @ 1:27 am

Thanks so much for stopping by, Alison, and for the friend request! I look forward to continuing to follow your blog.

6. 7
    #

Babou says

Oh no, you went to the wrong L’entrecôte !!!
    That one is an industrial like chain, plus the steak in the picture looks too charred…

There are many in Paris with similar names and it’s easy to get mixed up but the right one (for which Parisians wait in line on the street; i can get in just like half the time, one service, no reservations) is the Relais de l’Entrecôte on 15 rue Marbeuf…

• Kelly replied: — July 15th, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Thank you for the heads up! I think we had heard about the other L’entrecôte, but now we will have just one more reason to go back.

7. 8
    #

says

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! My mouth is watering at the thought of pain au chocolat and macarons. I was in Paris during the Fourth of July a few years ago and had an absolute blast.

• Kelly replied: — July 16th, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

It was such a fun time of the year to be there. The weather was perfect! And I still crave a Pain au Chocolat every single morning. They are my weakness!

8. 9
    #

says

I was there in April & seeing your photos now makes me want to go back again. Sigh.
    Did you make any ice cream stops at all? My favorite is Amorino & I love almost every flavor that they have. . . something worth going back for! ;-)