Crostini Three Ways

Crostini Three Ways

Holiday season is in full swing, and with just four days until Christmas, I’ve made my move from bingeing on baked goods to dreaming up the perfect passed appetizers. Every year my family I surface the usual suspects when it comes to hors d’oeuvres: hot and creamy Artichoke Spread, sweet and salty Texas Caviar and a super simple warm curry crab dip.

I decided to kick the appetizer options up a notch this year with three of my favorite crostini recipes. But there is no sliced salami and classic cheddar in sight, as these crunchy toasts layer endless flavors in a handful of creative combinations, including:

• (Homemade) Ricotta and Honey Crostini
  • Creamy Mushroom and Parmesan Crostini
  • Fried Quail Egg and Roasted Pepper Crostini

Consider preparing all three recipes and setting them out in bowls with a stack of toasts to encourage your guests to do the topping. A festive and interactive holiday party? All that’s missing is a crowd-friendly cocktail!

Ricotta and Honey Crostini

There’s nothing wrong with store-bought ricotta, but if you’re feeling in the mood for a DIY version, try your hand at homemade ricotta (it’s easier than you think!).

To assemble the Ricotta and Honey Crostini, simply top toasted baguette slices with the creamy cheese, a thick drizzle of honey and a crack of fresh black pepper. Plan on 1 cup of ricotta per 8 toasts.

Creamy Mushroom and Parmesan Crostini

Creamy Mushroom and Parmesan Crostini

For Creamy Mushroom and Parmesan Crostini, top toasted baguette slices with my favorite recipe for sautéed mushrooms, and then garnish with chopped fresh chives and Parmesan curls. One batch of the mushrooms will top 8 to 10 toasts, depending on their size.

Quail Egg

Fried Quail Eggs

Quail Egg and Roasted Pepper Crostini

Last but not least, it’s time to get creative with Fried Quail Egg and Roasted Pepper Crostini. I have a strong affinity for toppings to be the same shape and size as their bread base (see: Eggplant Parmesan Sliders), so these tiny quail eggs, which I found at my local Whole Foods, are the perfect fit for baguette toasts. Add a few roasted red peppers from your favorite jar, plus a crack of fresh black pepper and your trio of holiday crostini is complete!

What are your favorite ways to top bite-sized toasts?

Comments

1. 1
    #

says

these all sound so very good! I love crostini for appetizers. they’re easy and they’re finger-food friendly :) you have some great combination of flavors here and if I can find quail egg around my area, I want to give it a try :) another way I love to top bite-sized toasts is with sun-dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar with a little fresh basil.

• Kelly replied: — December 21st, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I love that idea for sundried tomato and balsamic! I found the quail eggs at my local Whole Foods (was surprised to see them, quite honestly), but they really are the perfect size for baguette toasts and fry up in no time!

2. 2
    #

says

I love crostini! They are such a versatile vehicle for deliciousness. :-) I love all of three of your versions — especially the quail eggs. I’ve been holding on to a package of them not really being inspired to do anything specific but after seeing how cute they look dressed atop a crunchy toast slice I may just have to go in that direction. Really, I love all kinds of toppings on crostini, but lately I’ve been veering towards the tartine variety — smeared with herby butter and garnished with sardines, herring, anything pickled, and radishes. I could seriously nibble on these things all day. :-)

3. 7
    #

says

Love your ideas, especially the mushroom and parmesan!! I love roasted red peppers but I’m not a huge fan of eggs so I don’t know what I’d think of the quail egg haha, but it’d be fun to try!

4. 9
    #

says

I never get tired of crostini, and your versions look delicious! Quail eggs are just so perfect and cute. I like to spread crostini with ricotta, then top with Swiss chard that’s been sauteed in garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Pine nuts add a nice crunch too.

• Kelly replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

That sounds fantastic! I love love love swiss chard, so I’ll have to give that a try.

5. 10
    #

says

*rubs eyes* Just look at those perfectly fried eggs! And the crostini? Don’t get me started on how much I adore all three of these! I especially adore ricotta crostini with homemade ricotta. They’re always the first thing I get to making whenever we make ricotta around here. Yum!

6. 11
    #

says

I don’t know how I missed this…these look so yummy! I agree with Kamran, those look like perfectly fried eggs! When you fry eggs, what level of heat do you put your pan on? Thanks!

• Kelly replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

Thanks, Julie! When frying eggs, I always start with a pan over medium heat and let it warm up for at least 3 minutes (and then of course slick the pan with a healthy dose of butter!). That way the egg won’t run too much when it hits the hot pan and I can then baste it with the warm butter. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Trackbacks

1. […] Ricotta lovers rejoice! You can now whip up batch after batch of your favorite cheese with just two ingredients and a few simple tips on technique. Grab 8 cups whole milk and 2 cups buttermilk and then fire up the flames for easy, cheesy homemade ricotta that’s perfect for topping pizzas, layering in lasagnas or slathering atop crostini. […]