BlogHer Food 2012 Seattle

Pike Place Market Seattle

This past weekend I headed to the Pacific Northwest to attend the BlogHer Food conference in Seattle. It was my third time attending the annual food conference, and I loved catching up with friends who I’ve met at past BlogHer events and also meeting countless new bloggers and food enthusiasts.

With just 48 hours to spend in Seattle, I wanted to make the most of my trip and had one main landmark to cross off my list: the historic Pike Place Market. I had visited the market once as a child and couldn’t wait to experience it again 20 years later. And so my good friend Julie of The Little Kitchen and I snuck away for a quick lunch on Friday. I had been tipped off that Piroshky Piroshky, a tiny Russian bakery located right outside the market, was a can’t-miss culinary destination. Long story short: The piroshky more than lived up to the hype! I’d highly recommend the beef and onion, cheese and onion, cherry and white chocolate, and apple cinnamon roll (pictured below).

Piroshky Piroshky Apple Cinnamon Roll

Piroshky Piroshky Cheddar and Scallion

Julie and I snacked on the pastries while strolling around the market, stopping to photograph the fresh seafood lining the halls, including piles of Alaskan king crab legs and a memorable 2-pound lobster tail.

King Crab Legs

Two-Pound Lobster Tail

The freshness of the fish and seafood was matched only by the freshness of the fruits and vegetables on display, including radishes, white raspberries, kumquats and English peas. One stand also featured giant hot pepper displays, stacked with every color and variety of chili.

Fresh Vegetables

Fresh Fruit

Chili Peppers

Seattle Skyline

We made a final stop at Seattle’s own KuKuRuZa for a bag of Hawaiian salted caramel popcorn, which was the perfect salty-sweet end to our strolling feast. I’m already counting down the days until I head south for BlogHer Food 2013, which is being held in Austin! Head over to BlogHer to find out more about next year’s conference.

Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a second fresh serving of content delivered straight to your inbox each week! And stay in touch on Facebook and Twitter for all of the latest updates.

17 Responses to “BlogHer Food 2012 Seattle”

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — June 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

Sounds like you had a great time! I’ve never been to BlogHer Food, but in my mind it’d be hard pressed to top this past year’s Food Blog Forum in Disney. It was great to meet you there.

Pike’s Place looks absolutely incredible. Glad you were able to fit it in. I haven’t been out to Seattle, but have a friend that goes almost every summer.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — June 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

sounds like a great time! Miss you xoxoxo

• Kelly Senyei replied: — June 11th, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Missed you in Seattle, Alison! Hugs to the whole fam!

Kathy - Panini Happy — June 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

So awesome to see you this weekend, Kelly! I had no idea about Piroshky Piroshky until I noticed the lines around the building – that’s the sign I look for! That apple cinnamon roll was incredible. Hope you had a great trip home to NYC. :-)

• Kelly Senyei replied: — June 11th, 2012 @ 11:20 am

I loved catching up with you, Kathy! Cannot wait to see your book!

Jennifer | Mother Thyme — June 11, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Looks and sounds like an amazing time with lots of great food! I love the vivid colors of the pictures of the fruits and vegetables from the market.

Taylor Mathis — June 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Great meeting you Kelly! Jealous you made it to Piroshky Piroshky, it is still on my Pike’s Place bucket list. Looks delicious!

peabody — June 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

It was wonderful to meet and talk with you at the conference! Hope the red eye flight helped you not waste a Sunday!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm

It was so fabulous seeing you again this weekend, Kelly!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — June 11th, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

Amazing, as always, Bev! Only wished we had more time to chat!

Shaina — June 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Sounds awesome, I want to go next year!!

Katie — June 12, 2012 at 10:48 am

Super jealous but glad you had a fabulous weekend! I’m hoping to make my way to Austin next year for BlogHer Food! Love your photos!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — June 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I wish I could have met you there! I had a great time in Seattle, too! I think Pike’s Market is one of my favorite places ever. YUM!

Jenny @ BAKE — June 16, 2012 at 6:51 am

I am so jealous! That market looks insanely good! I would love to live somewhere with a market like that! can you imagine food shopping there every week!

VirgoBlue — June 16, 2012 at 11:37 am

So sorry I missed it and seeing you this year! Looks like it was fun. Hopefully I’ll get to see you in NYC in August instead. I’m due for some celeb sightings ;).

• Kelly Senyei replied: — June 16th, 2012 @ 11:44 am

So sorry to miss you this year, Elaine! And yes – we are due for some more major celeb sightings :)

1. Pingback: BlogHer Food in Seattle | Dash of East