Video: Homemade Vanilla Extract

Holiday baking season is but a few weeks away, which gives you just enough time to start a big batch of homemade vanilla extract for the ultimate edible gift to give or get. Tune in to this week’s video to discover how two simple ingredients transform into a DIY version of this pantry staple.

Related Recipes:

Featured Kitchen Equipment:

Craving more? Subscribe to the Just a Taste YouTube channel and stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.

Disclosure: There are Amazon affiliate links in this post.

20 Responses to “Video: Homemade Vanilla Extract”

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — October 11, 2013 at 8:53 am

Another fabulous and helpful vid, Kelly! As always, excellent tips. It is so true…homemade vanilla extract makes a wonderful gift from the kitchen during the holidays. Thanks for sharing, girl. Pinning!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — October 11, 2013 at 10:25 am

Um, I had NO idea vanilla extract was that simple! Homemade gifts = done and done for this year :)

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — October 11, 2013 at 10:32 am

I just vanilla beans last weekend for this purpose and it’s on my to-do list for tomorrow. You read my mind!! Thanks for the helpful video. I just need my vodka and mason jars :)

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan — October 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’ve been doing this exact thing for the past few months and LOVE it! It makes me wonder why I didn’t try it earlier : )

• Kelly Senyei replied: — October 12th, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

I’m right there with you, Abby! Couldn’t believe how easy it was!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — October 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Love making my own vanilla. It’s so worth it!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — October 11th, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

Agreed, Averie!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — October 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I want to make these for Christmas this year!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — October 11th, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

It makes the ultimate holiday gift, Angie! People are so impressed and don’t realize just how easy it really is :)

Connie — October 11, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I’ve been making my own vanilla extract for a couple years now, it is definitely the best! This is the perfect time to get them started for holiday gifts, I let the beans soak 8 to 10 weeks. I can’t go back to store bought vanilla extract.

Gaby — October 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Love your videos and homemade vanilla is simply the best!!

Tieghan — October 11, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I have always wanted to make my own Vanilla! Now I HAVE too. So excited! :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — October 12, 2013 at 12:06 am

Vanilla extracts are great homemade holiday gift. Love the video, Kelly!

Ashley — October 12, 2013 at 7:59 am

This is a great video, Kelly! How long is the shelf life of the extract once it’s made?

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — October 12, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I still haven’t tried making my own vanilla but I definitely need to!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — October 13, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I looove homemade vanilla extract!

Kathy — October 17, 2013 at 1:33 am

Does the homemade vanilla have a higher or lower alcohol content than store bought? Is is possible to heat it to burn off the alcohol, and still have a useful product left? Just wondering.

• Kelly Senyei replied: — October 17th, 2013 @ 7:16 am

I’m sorry but I don’t know the answer to this, Kathy!

1. Pingback: Video: Homemade Lollipops Recipe | Just a Taste