A well-flavored quiche brings new meaning to eggs for breakfast. I’ve put a twist on my BLT lunchtime favorite by using crisp bacon, leafy spinach and flavor-packed sundried tomatoes. The key is to use the sundried tomatoes that come completely dried in a package, rather than soaked in oil. The excess oil will add unwanted grease to the dish and compete with the rich flavor of the bacon. Serve with a green salad and a mini popover for the perfect brunch.
Yield: one 9" quiche
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- ½ cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 (9-in.) unbaked pie shell
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a mixmaster, whisk together the eggs, light cream, salt and pepper.
- Place the pie crust in a pie tin or baking dish and sprinkle with the bacon, spinach and sundried tomatoes. Put the filled pie tin on a baking sheet.
- Pour the egg mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Let the quiche rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.