Get ready for Valentine’s Day with a simple shortcut to homemade toffee, no candy thermometer required! What better way to celebrate one of the sweetest days of the year than by layering chewy oats with semisweet chocolate. Toasted coconut and chopped pecans add a final touch of crunch to this quick-fix candy that’s guaranteed to be a sweet treat for your sweetheart.
Coconut & Oatmeal Toffee
Yield: 12-14 servings
- 4½ cups Old Fashioned oats
- 1 cup firmly paced brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup coconut, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Line a 15"x10" pan with greased parchment paper (enough to hang over the sides).
- Combine the oats, brown sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt in a large bowl, mixing well to combine.
- Press the oat mixture into the greased baking pan then bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set it aside to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in a double boiler. Pour the mixture over the cooled oatmeal base then top immediately with chopped pecans and toasted coconut. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to harden the chocolate.
- Once firm, use the excess parchment paper to lift the toffee out of the pan. Cut firmed toffee into bite-sized squares.