Last weekend I hosted my mom and sister for a wonderful Mother’s Day weekend in Manhattan. My brother joined us for a Saturday morning breakfast at my place, which included our favorite Applegate Organic Chicken and Apple Sausage, iced lattes and the star of the show, the Dutch Baby. We actually took double Dutch to all new heights by baking up two of these eggy, puffed, part-pancake, part-crêpe creations.
The first one, made in a non-stick fry pan, was a total success. Light and airy, it was the perfect canvas for a slew of fresh berries, a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup. The second one, baked in a stainless steel fry pan, puffed up beautifully. But I couldn’t tell you how it tasted, seeing as it would have taken a cleaning solvent and a yet-to-be-invented tool to pry the pancake-slash-crepe from the pan. Lesson learned!
I was shocked at how simple this recipe was. With a blender and a non-stick skillet, two-thirds of the work is already done. Then it’s time to get creative when it comes to topping the crater of eggs and butter, which becomes a welcome resting spot for berries, sautéed apples, cinnamon and sugar, chocolate chips and more.
Dutch Baby Pancake
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup milk, at room temperature
- ¾ cup All-Purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar or maple syrup, for garnishing
- Fresh berries, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place the butter in a 12" oven-proof, non-stick skillet. Place the skillet into the oven until the butter melts.
- Combine the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla and salt in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and swirl the melted butter around so it evenly coats the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and return the skillet to the oven for 25 minutes, or until the Dutch Baby is puffed and golden brown.
- Garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar or maple syrup and top with fresh berries, if desired.