I’m on a bite-sized food kick right now. Between the Homemade Mini Ice Cream Drumsticks and these Grilled Sirloin Sliders with Smoked Bacon, I haven’t had need for utensils in days!
A burger craving prompted me to follow superstar chef Emeril Lagasse’s lead by blending equal parts ground sirloin and ground chuck to make one heck of a beefy, bite-sized patty. Crispy smoked bacon, slices of sharp cheddar, piles of caramelized onions, and best buddies ketchup and mustard transform an array of simple ingredients into sensational sliders. Would you expect anything less from a culinary icon?
I had the lucky chance to hang out with Emeril a few weeks ago while taping an episode for his new show, Emeril’s Table, which airs this fall. More details on that to come, but for now, fire up the flames for summertime sliders and then chill out with my three favorite ways to beat the heat: S’more Shakes, Pineapple Sorbet and Bahama Mama Cocktails.
Grilled Sirloin Sliders with Smoked Bacon
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 12 ounces ground beef chuck
- 12 ounces ground sirloin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 12 slider-size brioche rolls or buns, halved
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 12 slices applewood-smoked bacon
- Burger toppings: sharp cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions
- In a large bowl, combine the chuck, sirloin, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Use your hands to combine the mixture and then divide it into 12 patties. Place the patties on a sheet tray, cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least one hour (and up to 12 hours).
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Season the patties with salt and pepper.
- Grill the burgers for 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium and then add the cheese.
- Brush the halved rolls with butter and place them on the grill to toast.
- Place the cheeseburgers on the toasted rolls, along with the bacon, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions and any other desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from Emeril at the Grill.