I had a strong affinity for food even as a young child, so I suppose it’s not surprising that some of my earliest memories are of the delicious meals my mom cooked. I can even remember standing at our kitchen counter in my Halloween costume 10 years ago while eating this chowder before a long night of trick-or-treating. And as my memory serves as proof, this chowder is that good!
Salsa Corn Chowder
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1½ cups chopped red onions
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 oz.) package sweet corn, thawed
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 (13¾ oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz.) jar chopped pimento, drained
- 1 (8 oz.) container cream cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups of ham, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Sauté onions in butter in a large saucepan and then stir in flour, chili powder and ground cumin.
- Add the corn, salsa, chicken broth and pimento to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Gradually add ¼ cup of the hot mixture from the saucepan to a bowl that contains the cream cheese. Stir until well blended.
- Add the cream cheese mixture and the milk to the saucepan and stir until well blended.
- Add the ham and cook the chowder until it is thoroughly heated (make sure it does not boil) then serve.