Bruschetta is a great appetizer for summer months and can be made with any combination of healthy fruits and vegetables. I’ve topped these garlic-rubbed whole wheat toasts with marinated artichokes, mushrooms and tomatoes. A touch of Parmesan cheese rounds out this flavorful mixture, which is packed full of low fat, low calorie ingredients. Mushrooms provide antioxidants, while artichokes are a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
If you’re a big bruschetta fan, you can also try my Guacamole Bruschetta for a southern California twist on this Italian favorite.
- 1 whole wheat baguette
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 jar (12 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Pour the juice from the marinated artichokes into a bowl. Slice the artichoke hearts into smaller pieces then add them to the bowl.
- Add the quartered mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and black pepper to the bowl. Stir thoroughly until the ingredients are well coated.
- Slice the whole wheat baguette on the diagonal into ½" rounds and place on a baking sheet.
- Toast the sliced bread in the oven for 3 minutes, then flip each piece over and toast an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove the toasted bread from the oven and immediately rub with the clove of garlic (it works best to first cut a small tip off the garlic clove so that the oils will seep out).
- Spoon the artichoke mixture onto the garlic-rubbed toasts and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!