Three words: breaded chicken cutlets.
They’ve been a part of my weeknight recipe repertoire for as long as I can remember. As a child, I knew them as “Little Guys,” a seemingly obscure alias for my Hungarian family’s take on traditional wiener schnitzel. And now, I know the meal simply as Chicken Milanese.
Regardless of what you call it, one thing is certain: It’s hard to beat the pairing of a crispy, golden brown breadcrumb crust and a tender, moist chicken breast. The delicious duo turns into a tasty trio with the addition of a simple green apple salad tossed in a Dijon mustard vinaigrette. Best of all, the entire meal will be on your table in 30 minutes or less.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the chicken:
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
For the salad:
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Make the chicken:
- Clean and thoroughly dry the chicken breasts then place each between two pieces of wax paper. Using a meat mallet or the back of a skillet, pound the chicken so that it is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Set up a breading station by placing the flour in one large, shallow dish. Crack the eggs into a second large, shallow dish and whisk them. Place the breadcrumbs in a third large, shallow dish. Season the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs with salt and pepper.
- Thoroughly dry off each chicken bread then coat it first in the flour, then in the eggs and then in the breadcrumbs, pressing the breadcrumbs into the chicken until they've adhered to the eggs. Repeat the breading process with the remaining three chicken cutlets.
- Line a sheet tray or plate with paper towels. Heat two large sauté pans over medium low heat. Add enough olive oil to each pan so that it's thoroughly coated. Test the hotness of the oil by dipping a small corner of one of the breaded chicken cutlets into the pan. The oil should sizzle instantly. If it does not, allow the oil to continue heating before you begin cooking the chicken. Once the oil is hot enough, add two chicken cutlets to each pan. Cook them for several minutes on one side until they're golden brown, then flip them once and continue cooking until the second side is browned and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Transfer the cooked chicken cutlets from the pans onto the paper towel-lined baking sheet and immediately season them with salt.
Make the salad:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the shallots, mustard, lemon juice, honey and olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste. Set the dressing aside.
- Slice the apple into thin matchsticks, then add the apple, arugula and Parmesan cheese to a large bowl and toss with the prepared dressing.
- Serve the chicken cutlets topped with the apple salad.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.