Transform store-bought puff pastry into a fast and bakery-worthy recipe for Blueberry Cream Cheese Pastries.
One should never underestimate the power and versatility of puff pastry. From savory to sweet, bite-sized to crowd-friendly, few foods can transform so swiftly from course to course.
With a few strategic slices of the knife, puff pastry sheets become single serving breakfast pastries topped with a slathering of lemon-spiked cream cheese and a handful of fresh blueberries.
The real beauty here is that any type of berry will work perched atop the bed of cream cheese, so grab what’s in season and give these pastries your own fruit-filled spin.
After a quick bake in the oven, the tasty triangles get a final kiss of sweetness courtesy of a quick-fix glaze, although a shower of confectioners’ sugar would also do the trick. They’ll be puffed and you’ll be stuffed in 30 minutes or less. Now that is time well spent, indeed.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the pastries:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 1 large egg
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Make the pastries:
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla to the bowl and beat until combined. Set aside.
- Roll out each sheet of thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface until it is a 10-inch square. Cut each square into four smaller squares, then cut each smaller square in half diagonally to form eight triangles from each sheet of pastry. Place the pastry triangles on the lined baking sheets then prick each triangle several times with a fork, leaving a 1/2-inch un-pricked border around the edges.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush each triangle all over with the egg wash then spread a portion of the cream cheese mixture in the centers of each triangle, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edges. Top the cream cheese with a portion of the blueberries.
- Bake the pastries for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed around the edges. Transfer the pastries to a baking rack to cool while you make the glaze.
Make the glaze:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice until combined. If the glaze is still too thick, whisk in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it is thin enough to drizzle.
- Once the pastries have cooled completely, use a small spoon or fork to drizzle the glaze atop the pastries. Serve immediately.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe inspired by Better Homes and Gardens.