Add a pop of color and crunch to your dessert spread with an eye-popping recipe for Glittering Nutella Sandwich Cookies.
Sure, Thanksgiving is still a few weeks away. And yes, the calendar still says “November.” But holiday cookie season is kicking off around these parts, and what better way to start the celebration than with the World’s Largest Cookie Exchange?
Better Homes and Gardens has assembled bakers from near and far to participate in the super-sized online cookie exchange and I’m thrilled to be included alongside my fellow butter enthusiasts. What cookie is worthy of such a sweet spectacle? None other than Glittering Nutella Sandwich Cookies starring two buttery sugar cookies joined together by everyone’s favorite chocolate-hazelnut spread.
These bite-sized edible jewels are decked out with a colorful array of sanding sugars. The sugar adds color, crunch and festive flair, making these the ultimate sweet for any special occasion. And if you’re not a Nutella fan, you can sandwich together the cookies with your favorite frosting. (Cream cheese frosting would be amazing!)
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Assorted colored sanding sugars
- 1/2 cup Nutella or chocolate-hazelnut spread, for filling
- Equipment: Pastry bag or sealable plastic bag
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and confectioners’ sugar until it is light and fluffy then add the vanilla extract and continue beating. Add the flour mixture and beat just until combined and a soft dough forms.
- Place the various colors of sanding sugar into small bowls. Roll about 2 teaspoons of dough into a ball then place it in the sugar and roll it around so it’s thoroughly coated. If needed, lightly re-roll the ball so it’s evenly shaped then place it on the baking sheet. Repeat the rolling and coating process with the remaining dough, alternating sanding sugar colors and spacing the cookies 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies until the tops are slightly cracked and the bottoms are pale golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, spread about 1 teaspoon of Nutella on the flat side of one cookie then sandwich it together with a second cookie. Repeat the filling and sandwiching process with the remaining cookies.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Cookie dough recipe adapted from Gourmet.