One portobello mushroom has about 30 calories and no fat or cholesterol. The hearty mushrooms are great substitutes for meat and cook up quickly over a grill. Fresh garlic, balsamic vinegar and olive oil season the portobellos while the tomato, basil and mozzarella toppings add Caprese-inspired flavors to the meal. Tuck the ingredients into soft, whole wheat pita for a great lunch or dinner on the go.
View the NBC5 segment featuring this recipe.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- Remove the stems from the portobellos and scrape the gills from the insides. Then use a damp cloth to rub them clean.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and minced garlic in a small bowl.
- Brush the tops and bottoms of the portobellos with the mixture until they are well coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place a grill pan or heavy bottom skillet over medium heat. Grill the portobellos stem-side down for 5 minutes, then flip them and grill an additional 5 minutes until soft.
- Assemble the sandwiches by slicing a pocket into the pitas and filling them each with a grilled portobello and a portion of the tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella. Drizzle with any of the remaining balsamic vinaigrette.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!