This recipe is designed to distract the frozen taste buds of anyone who is still (un)fortunate enough to be enjoying the frigid cold of winter. So open wide and take a bite out of a warmer climate by tasting the sweet pineapple, toasted coconut and salty crunch of these macadamia nut granola bars. And while this simple, Hawaiian-inspired snack may be the closest some of us will get to above 30º degree temperatures, we can all enjoy the healthy kickback from the natural Agave Nectar sweetener. Bring on the bikinis.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup dried pineapple, medium chopped
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, crushed
- 1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1/3 cup Agave Nectar
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Spread the oats and coconut out on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, stir, then bake an additional 5 minutes (watch the mixture as it toasts and stir an additional time if necessary to prevent burning).
- Remove the toasted oats and coconut and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the dried pineapple and macadamia nuts to the bowl. Set the mixture aside.
- Line a glass baking dish with wax paper, then coat the wax paper with a thin layer of cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, Agave Nectar, butter, pure vanilla extract and salt. Heat until ingredients are melted together.
- Pour the hot liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Press the mixture firmly into the baking dish.
- Let the granola mixture dry and harden for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the dried granola whole from the baking dish. Cut it in half length-wise, then cut each rectangular half into six bars.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!