There are hundreds of recipes out there for regular Red Velvet Cupcakes. And while I live in New York City – cupcake capital of the modern world – I’ve never been a fan of any of the city’s high-priced gourmet cupcake shops (gourmands, go ahead and gasp). So after sifting through a handful of options, I decided to create my own. I’ve incorporated raspberries into the batter for an even deeper red coloring and to add a richer flavor to this perfect Valentine’s Day treat.
For the cupcakes:
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons red food coloring (about 1.5 oz.)
- 1½ cups mashed raspberries (2 6-oz. packages )
For the frosting:
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Beat in the sifted flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Add in the food coloring and blend until well mixed. Then stir in the mashed raspberries.
- Scoop the batter into cupcake tins lined with cupcake cups.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, rotating the cupcake tin in the oven halfway through.
- Remove and let cool before frosting with cream cheese frosting (recipe below).
For the cream cheese frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese and softened butter until well incorporated.
- Beat in vanilla then slowly beat in the powdered sugar until the icing is smooth in texture.
- Spread on cupcakes and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!