Move over, Garlic Knots, I’ve found a new favorite use for pizza dough. And it’s as far as you can get from the shape of a slice.
I’ve bundled teaspoons of creamy ricotta inside balls of pizza dough that are then brushed with melted honey butter and baked until golden. And while I used store-bought whole wheat dough, you can also opt to make your own with my recipe for The Ultimate Pizza Dough. But regardless of what dough you use, be prepared for a sweet and savory treat, as these pull-apart bundles aren’t your average pepperoni pizza bites.
Looking to take your snack to all new homemade heights?
- 1 ½ lbs. store-bought or homemade pizza dough, at room temperature
- 6 oz. firm ricotta cheese, cold
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional for greasing pan
- 1/3 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease a 9" pie plate or baking dish with butter.
- Tear the dough into 20 to 24 roughly equal size pieces.
- Roll out each piece of dough to approximately 2" in diameter. Place 2 teaspoons of ricotta in the center of each piece of dough, stretch and fold up the edges, and pinch to seal.
- Place each bundle seam side down in the prepared baking dish, arranging them so they touch each other. (Note: It's a bit like putting together a puzzle to get them all to fit, but don't be afraid to switch the bundles around so that they all have ample space to plump when they bake.)
- Melt the butter and honey in a small saucepan, whisking to combine.
- Liberally brush the tops of the bites with the melted honey butter.
- Bake the bites for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush one final time with remaining honey butter. Serve warm.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Awesome! Turned out delicious.
So glad you enjoyed the recipe, Mary!
Do you think this would work with a thinner pre-made pie crust dough??
Hi there! I haven’t tried that but it should work. You will just have to adjust the baking time.
The combination of bread dough, ricotta and honey makes my mouth water. What a great idea!! Love it
Are these a sweet or savory dish? Or is it a blank canvas for either, depending on what you add to the ricotta mixture?
Hi Sarah, These are more of a savory appetizer, but feel free to add whatever mixins you like!