My mom Noni’s classic BLT sandwich was a go-to in my childhood home. It featured crunchy bacon, iceberg lettuce, juicy tomatoes and tangy mayo layered between three slices of toasted white bread. The sky-high stack was skewered with toothpicks and then sliced into four triangles. No matter how many times I try to make it, and as simple as it is, I cannot duplicate that sandwich to match the taste of Noni’s. It’s one of those foods that just always tastes better when Mom makes it.
But this week I’m adding a creamy twist to the classic by using Bacon Scallion Hummus in place of mayo. Feel free to dig in to this silky spread with crunchy crudité or bagel chips, but I prefer mine slathered on toasted seven-grain bread, which I top with lettuce and tomatoes. Fresh scallions add a welcome zing to this quick-fix snack that’s made that much better by adding a splash of reserved bacon drippings in place of olive oil. Forget the skinny jeans and grab your spandex. While your pants may hate me, I promise your taste buds will be singing my praises.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons chopped scallions (green and white parts), plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain and reserve bacon drippings in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together chickpeas, tahini, 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat, lemon juice and chopped garlic, scraping down the sides and pulsing just until smooth.
- Add the water, 3 slices of chopped bacon and 2 tablespoons chopped scallions. Pulse it a few more times until combined, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the hummus to a serving dish and garnish with remaining chopped bacon and additional chopped scallions.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!