Up your appetizer or snack game with this quick and easy recipe for Party-Perfect Cheese Straws studded with poppy seeds.
Happy all things holiday! It is my absolute favorite time of year as we inch toward Thanksgiving (T-minus 72 hours!) and then barrel full-speed into Christmas. And while I’ll be spending Turkey Day in New York City and skipping the annual cooking duties, I’m already lining up my appetizer spread for December 1 and beyond.
My family is all about the dinner pre-game. And I’m not just talking about cocktails and wine! We love a good appetizer spread, and high atop our list has always been Ina Garten’s cheese straws. I’ve taken my culinary guru’s recipe and added a few twists (pun intended) to create Party-Perfect Cheese Straws.
With just six simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes, you’ll be challenging yourself to stick to just one straw. They’re hot, buttery, cheesy and perfectly puffed. What more could you need to kick off any party?
Best of all, this recipe yields two dozen cheese straws that can be served warm (my personal preference) or at room temp, making them the ultimate-make ahead appetizer or snack. I love the addition of the poppy seeds for a pop (pun count: 2) of color and textural contrast to the ooey-gooey cheeses.
So grab the puff pastry, get your grate on and kick off your next bash with a tall glass of Party-Perfect Cheese Straws!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- All-purpose flour, for dusting work surface
- 1 (17.3-oz) package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 1 large egg, whisked with 1 Tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat baking mats.
- Lightly flour your work surface then unfold the sheets of puff pastry and roll each until it is 10x12 inches in size. Brush both sheets of puff pastry with the egg wash.
- Evenly sprinkle the grated Parmesan, gruyere and poppy seeds atop the puff pastry then use a rolling pin to lightly roll the toppings into the pastry.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza wheel, cut each sheet of puff pastry into 12 1-inch strips. Twist the strips then arrange them on the baking sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Bake the straws for 10 to 15 minutes until they are golden brown and puffed. Turn the straws over once and bake them an additional 2 minutes. Remove the straws from the oven and let them cool before serving.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.