Maximum flavor meets minimum fuss with my go-to recipe for One-Pot Gnocchi with Sausage. It’s a 20-minute meal starring pillowy store-bought gnocchi and chopped fresh kale tossed with fresh citrus.
I am all for store-bought shortcuts, especially when they can be so easily transformed from an ordinary ingredient to an extraordinary meal. That is the role of good ol’ packaged gnocchi in this quick, flavor-packed recipe.
What Sauce to Make with Gnocchi
The real beauty of One-Pot Gnocchi with Sausage not only lies in its speed (20 minutes from start to finish!) but also the simplicity and freshness of the sauce. I use the word “sauce” lightly here because there’s no heaviness, and certainly no cream—just chicken stock, Parmesan cheese and an entire tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
The fresh citrus is added at the end of cooking, which brings the entire recipe together by cutting any heaviness of the sausage or cheese. The result is a well-balanced complete meal-in-a-bowl!
What to Make with Gnocchi
Looking for more ways to turn store-bought gnocchi into a half-homemade dinner home run? Don’t miss my three favorite recipes for Quick Gnocchi with Crispy Garlic, Crispy Parmesan Gnocchi and Easy Gnocchi Chicken Soup.
And if you’re ready to go the DIY route, it’s Leftover Mashed Potato Gnocchi to the rescue!Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound store-bought gnocchi
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Add the olive oil to a large heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook it, breaking it apart with a spatula, until it is fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl and set it aside.
- Add the gnocchi to the pot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil then reduce it to a simmer and cook until the gnocchi are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cook until tender and wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and then the cooked sausage.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and then stir in the lemon juice. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.