We are going back, way back to the Just a Taste archives for this recipe that’s been in my family’s holiday appetizer lineup for more than 50 years. It’s a culinary throwback, and Crescent Roll Veggie Bars are stealing the snack spotlight!
We have my grandmother’s good friend to thank for first introducing my family to this colorful creation that’s guaranteed to have you eating a rainbow of vegetables in every bite. And the setup couldn’t be simpler …
Begin by covering a baking sheet with crescent rolls. Pop it into the oven, and while they bake, move on to the silky smooth spreadable topping that brings new life to the traditional Ranch dressing flavor.
Once the crescent rolls are cooled, slather on the Ranch spread then start tossing on grated veggies like culinary confetti. We’re talking broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes and scallions all joining forces to add festive color to your crescent roll canvas.
Stash the baking sheet in the fridge to let the flavors work their magic overnight (or just for an hour if you’re short on time!). Then all that’s left to do is slice your masterpiece into bars and fight over who gets dibs on second and third servings.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 (8-oz.) packages refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (1-oz.) package powdered Original Ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup grated broccoli
- 1/2 cup grated cauliflower
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes (seeds removed)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Unroll the crescent rolls onto a nonstick baking sheet, separating the dough and arranging it in a single layer covering the entire baking sheet. Press together the perforations, and then using a fork, prick the dough all over. Bake the dough for 10 minutes until golden brown then remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise and Ranch dressing mix. Using a handheld mixer, blend together the ingredients until smooth and creamy. (Alternately, beat the ingredients together in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.)
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the completely cooled baking sheet of crescent rolls, covering the entire surface in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the grated broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes and scallions on top of the cream cheese then place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper on top and lightly press down the veggies. Cover the baking sheet securely with plastic wrap and refrigerate the bars for a minimum of one hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to serve, slice the sheet into bars and serve.
- Use either the largest hole on the side of a box grater or a food processor to grate the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe inspired by Esther Katrenics.