Chocolate and Brie Panini

Chocolate and Brie Panini

Chocolate with cheese? Has she lost her mind?

Not entirely! Although your first reaction may be to cringe at the sight of this unlikely duo, I hope you’ll stick around for a hot, gooey second and allow me to explain.

Chocolate and cheese go together like pork chops and applesauce, like spaghetti and meatballs, like Jersey Shore marathons and my average Saturday night. They just work.

Mark my words: This combination is almost too good to be true, which is probably why so few people have ever gone the route of sandwiching two such fatty stellar ingredients between buttery, toasted sourdough slices.

But I have The Smile restaurant in New York City’s lower east side to thank for clueing me in to this combo. After seeing the panini offered on their menu, and then a similar version (with marshmallow fluff and bananas subbed in for cheese) on The Purple Pig‘s menu in Chicago, I knew the dessert panini trend was starting to take shape.

So throw caution (and your pant size) to the wind and give this uncommon combo a shot. I guarantee you won’t be able to stick to just one creamy, crunchy salty-sweet bite.

Chocolate and Brie Panini

Chocolate and Brie Panini

Chocolate and Brie Panini

Chocolate and Brie Panini

Chocolate and Brie Panini

Chocolate and Brie Panini

Chocolate and Brie Panini

Yield: 2 sandwiches (2-4 servings)

Prep Time: 5 min

Cook Time: 2 min

4 slices crunchy sourdough bread
4 oz. Brie cheese, cut into slices
2 oz. milk chocolate
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the panini to medium-high heat. (Alternately, heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.)

Arrange half the cheese on two pieces of bread, then top each slice with half the chocolate.

Top each stacked slice of bread with another slice of bread to form sandwiches and brush the tops with melted butter.

Place one of the sandwiches butter-side down onto the panini press. Butter the top piece of bread, then close the panini and allow the sandwich to cook for 2 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and toasted. (Alternately, place the sandwich into the pan and cover it with a lid. Once the first side is toasted, butter the top, flip the sandwich and toast the second side.)

Remove the toasted sandwich from the panini or the pan, slice it in half and serve immediately.

Kelly's Notes:

Because this is such a simple recipe, it all comes down to the quality of the ingredients you use. Allow yourself to splurge on a higher quality chocolate and wedge of Brie. It'll be well worth it!

Brie is much easier to slice when it's cold, rather than at room temperature, so keep it in the fridge until the last possible minute.

23 Responses to “Chocolate and Brie Panini”

Bev Weidner — September 15, 2011 at 12:02 am

I am dying the most beautiful death right now.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — September 15, 2011 at 1:08 am

Running to the kitchen to make this now!

• Kelly replied: — September 15th, 2011 @ 1:09 am

I promise you’ll love it – enjoy!

kamran siddiqi — September 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Kelly, I’ve got the bread, the chocolate, the brie, and the butter. This, is in the making. Also- that second to last photo? I can’t stop staring at it. Simply gorgeous!

Kathy - Panini Happy — September 19, 2011 at 2:07 am

I happen to know this is a fabulous combination. :-) One more surprising ingredient that also really works here – fresh basil!

• Kelly replied: — September 19th, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

That sounds like a spectacular addition! Will have to include it next time!

joey — September 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I didn’t cringe at all…oh what melting goodness! Must try soon!

• Kelly replied: — September 19th, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Thanks, Joey! And yes, you definitely need to put this on your “must try ASA” list!

JulieD — September 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I don’t think you’re crazy…these look epic. I WANT a panini press even more now!

• Kelly replied: — September 19th, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

I have found so many more uses for my panini maker, and of course love seeing all of Kathy’s genius creations on Panini Happy. Can’t wait to catch up with you in Nashville!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — September 21, 2011 at 3:44 pm

in my 400 recipe book of Sandwiches (400 Best Sandwich Recipes), I didn’t think of Brie and Chocolate. I do have a Chocolate Turtle Panini that made the back cover of the book :). Looks divine girl!

Amelia from z tasty life — October 12, 2011 at 10:59 am

Kelly: Chocolate and butter (real rich cheesy butter) panini are a very strong reality in Europe, so I love that you made this “cousin” version. And also try brie and fid jam as another dessert sandwich…maybe even add pears? Fab styling as always… Especially those tiny salt grains on the parchment.

• Kelly replied: — October 12th, 2011 @ 11:12 am

Sounds fantastic and will definitely have to give it a shot!

Tiff — November 22, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Yum! Also going to try this with Nutella.

Rachel @ Bakerita — December 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Two of my favorite things…No way I wouldn’t like this.
    Can’t wait to break out my panini maker and whip this up.

Cassie — June 7, 2013 at 7:56 am

I was looking at this and thought “I wonder… brie, caramel & apple maybe”.
    I don’t like brie but I’m showing this to my sister asap!

Letty Flatt — January 23, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Kelly,
    Found this recipe 2+ years later thanks to share on Google+ by Heidi Larsen.
    I am going all out and making it with dark chocolate. I love dark, dark chocolate simply melted on a crostini with olive oil. A bit of fleur de sel and viola!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — January 24th, 2014 @ 12:49 am

Amazing, Letty! Enjoy :)

EileenA EileenA — January 24, 2014 at 1:41 pm

great combination of ingredient , this is a must try recipe, thanks!

1. Pingback: Chocolate & Brie Panini « Utterly Smitten