Hot Chocolate Stir Sticks

Chocolate Stir Straws

Love it or dread it, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, which means the Interwebs are a flutter with pink sprinkles, candy conversation hearts, chocolate-dipped strawberries, and red velvet everything. Needless to say, I’m joining the sugar-coated celebration.

Regardless if you’re dining with your sig-o or going solo this February 14, the good news is that chocolate stir sticks can be made for one or one hundred and will inevitably become  your mug’s new best friend. Not only do they turn warm milk into instant hot chocolate, they also add a sweet kick to coffee for the ultimate mocha. I tested out a few options—from single-dipped dark chocolate straws to milk chocolate heart molds—so read on for a few tips for kicking up your cocoa this Valentine’s Day.

Begin by melting your choice chocolate in a double-boiler on the stove or in a microwave-safe bowl (stirring every 20 seconds). There are a few ways to go about crafting the stir sticks, either by using straws, spoons, or a mold (such as the heart-shaped one below).

Chocolate Stir Straws

If you’re using straws or spoons, simply dip them in the warm chocolate and opt for a festive touch with a dash of sprinkles. If you’re using a mold, pour the chocolate (and add the optional sprinkles), and then stick in the straws. They won’t stand on their own, so I used a photo clamp to hold them upright. Once the dipped straws or spoons have dried, warm up a mug of milk or coffee, and then stir and sip your way from simple to spectacular.

Chocolate Stir Straws

Chocolate Stir Straws

Comments

1. 5
    #

says

OMG these are so freaking adorable! The itty bitty heart sprinkles make me smile big :) Totally scouring the internet now for heart sprinkles, heart-shaped molds, and festive sticks…

• Kelly replied: — February 8th, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

Go for it! I ended up eating all of the chocolates that I didn’t stir into the milk (shocking, I know).

2. 7
    #

says

Absolutely favorite of mine these days! I have like a bag full of these in my fridge ready for me to enjoy it every night. And the best part is that you can enjoy ur hot chocolate in 2 minutes without a mess and 100% homemade.

Urs is looking very festive looking. Love it Kelly! Btw r u coming to foodblogforum?

• Kelly replied: — February 8th, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

Thanks so much, Grishma! And YES! I will be at FBF in Orlando… please tell me you’ll be there, too!?

3. 9
    #

Amy Siberio says

These look so fun!!! I’ll have to attempt them when I’m home!

• Kelly replied: — February 13th, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

Go for it, Ames! You will love them :) Hope to see you in FL soon!

4. 11
    #

Victoria says

What a great idea for my daughter’s wedding luncheon. I don’t quite understand how you make the straws stand up with a photo clamp but I would love to know.

5. 12
    #

says

So cute! Where did you get the sticks? Are they reusable? Made of plastic?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 7:42 pm

Thanks! They’re plastic (reusable) straws and I think I bought them at Bed, Bad & Beyond.

6. 13
    #

Mary says

Instead of using straws, why not use flavored candy sticks, like peppermint or lemon etc.
    Then you get 2 treats in one.

• Kelly Senyei replied: — November 4th, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

Love that idea, Mary!

7. 14
    #

Lynnette says

Great way to get the sticks to stand on themselves would be by cling wrapping the mould tray and sticking the straws through them. :)

Trackbacks