Preheat your oven and grab the berries for a show-stopping Strawberry Galette recipe starring a surprising addition. This recipe is an exclusive sneak peek from my debut cookbook, The Secret Ingredient Cookbook!
We are less than a week away from The Secret Ingredient Cookbook making its big debut, and I could not be more excited and proud to share this life work with you. It has been the biggest project I’ve worked on in my 13-year career, and I can honestly say that I would not change a single thing about how the book turned out.
Every recipe (all 125 of them!), every photo (80+ of them!), every tip, trick, and yes, secret ingredient, is how I envisioned and hoped it would be.
I spent years perfecting the recipes, ensuring they are easily replicated time and time again. And most importantly, I made sure that each and every one of the secret ingredients—and for that matter, all ingredients—in the book are easy to find and affordable.
It’s impossible to choose a favorite recipe from among the 125 options that span breakfast through dessert. But we all know that I’m always down for dessert in every way, shape or form, so I couldn’t resist sharing a sneak peek of the book with you.
Behold, the Strawberry Galette from The Secret Ingredient Cookbook! This stunner of a sweet stars a flaky DIY pastry studded with fresh rosemary, but the surprises don’t stop there…
The real show-stopping addition is the secret ingredient itself: balsamic vinegar. It lends an element of tang that, when combined with the sweet fruit and buttery pastry, creates the perfect marriage of balanced flavors.
So grab those berries, preheat the oven and make sure to order your copy of The Secret Ingredient Cookbook to get re-inspired in the kitchen with 125 family-friendly recipes with surprisingly tasty twists!
For the dough:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
- 4 cups quartered strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon water
- Sanding sugar, for topping (optional)
- Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
Make the dough:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, rosemary, white sugar, and salt. Add the cubed butter and pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand. With the motor running, slowly stream in the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to form a ball.
- Shape the dough into a disk and wrap it securely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
Make the filling:
- In a large bowl, stir together the strawberries, white sugar, cornstarch, and balsamic vinegar. Set the filling aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Remove the dough from the fridge, then using a rolling pin, roll into a 14-inch round. Drape the dough around your rolling pin and transfer it to the baking sheet.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the filling into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the edges. Using your fingers, fold the edges of the dough up and over the filling. Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash, then sprinkle it with sanding sugar if desired.
- Bake the galette for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. (The juices in the galette will thicken as it cools.)
- Slice the galette into wedges, then top with whipped cream or ice cream and serve.