Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops from justataste.com #halloween

Where do I even begin with these Halloween creepers? I suppose the truth is a good place to start.

My first attempt at making Frankenstein marshmallow pops was a hot, sticky mess. Had my original goal been to create seasick, mustached, beret-wearing Frenchmen, then I totally would’ve nailed it. An A+ for sure. Don’t believe me? I don’t know why I’m about to share this, but here’s what the first batch looked like …

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops from justataste.com #halloween

Are you still reading? Are we still friends? I hope so. I swear it was all a matter of practice. Luckily, I forged the messy path of trial and error so that you don’t have to. That’s right. You don’t have to spend four hours dipping marshmallows in chocolate at 3 a.m. on a Saturday only to email a photo of said marshmallow men to your family members, who then respond with “HAHAHAHA!”

These are scary marshmallows, people. SCARY. They should make you want to cry in fear … not laugh uncontrollably. My dad coined them “Frankenmallows.” I’m digging that. And I’ve loved having a dozen Frankenmallows as my roomies for the week — beady eyes, bleeding foreheads, chocolate toupées and all.

If you’re seriously crushing on these creepy Halloween marshmallow pops and want to share them with your Pinterest buddies, check out this pin featuring a step-by-step collage of the process. From marshmallows to Frankensteins, in just five sweet and seriously spooky steps.

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops from justataste.com #halloween

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops from justataste.com #halloween

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops from justataste.com #halloween

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops from justataste.com #halloween

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops from justataste.com #halloween

Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on FacebookTwitterPinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 5 min

Green candy melts (See Kelly's Notes)
Marshmallows
Small pretzel rods
Semisweet chocolate chips
Candy eyeballs
Edible red and black markers

Equipment: toothpicks; lollipop sticks or colorful straws

Melt the green candy melts in a microwave or double boiler according to package directions until they are fully melted.

Push the lollipop sticks into the marshmallows then dip the marshmallows into the melted candy, turning to cover them completely. Stand the marshmallows upright in a glass filled with uncooked rice or oatmeal and place the glass in the fridge until the chocolate has cooled and hardened slightly, about 5 minutes.

Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave or double boiler until smooth. Dip the tops of each of the coated marshmallows in the chocolate to form the hair, and using a toothpick, drag the chocolate down toward the base of the marshmallow to form spikes of hair. Return the marshmallows to the fridge until the chocolate has hardened, about 5 minutes.

Break the ends off of the pretzel rods to form the small (about 1/8-inch) "bolts" for Frankenstein's neck. Carefully push one piece of pretzel into each side of the marshmallow about 1/3 of the way from the bottom.

Using a toothpick and the remaining melted chocolate, dab two small dots of chocolate onto each marshmallow and press on the candy eyeballs.

Using the black edible marker, draw on a mouth, and then using the red edible marker, draw on a laceration on Frankenstein's forehead. Enjoy the marshmallow pops immediately or store them in an air-tight contained in the fridge until ready to serve.

Kelly's Notes:
Candy melts can be found at most bakeware stores. Do not substitute white chocolate and green food coloring for the candy melts, as most food colorings are water-based and will cause the chocolate to seize.

Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.

46 Responses to “Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops”

Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas — October 2, 2013 at 12:23 am

These are super cute! But not as cute as the word “frankenmallow.” That is even better!!! haha.

Noma — October 2, 2013 at 12:39 am

These are BOOtiful! Love ‘em!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — October 3rd, 2013 @ 7:56 am

Haha! Love it, Noma!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — October 2, 2013 at 1:22 am

So fun, love the details!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 2, 2013 at 1:57 am

This is so stinking cute! And what a fun project to do with the kids!

Julia @ hungryandconfused — October 2, 2013 at 5:05 am

These are so cute! And I love the side parted “Lego hair” on the first batch ;)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — October 2, 2013 at 10:22 am

so cute!!

Julie @ Table for Two — October 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

these are SO adorable, Kelly! So creative and cute!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — October 2, 2013 at 11:50 am

These are such a hoot! My nieces and nephews would go bonkers of these!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — October 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm

These are so cute… even the sea-sick ones! =)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — October 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Kelly, these are so fun! I think I will have to make them for my kiddos!

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — October 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Oh my gosh!! These are so cute! Love the name frankemallows and can’t get over that.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — October 2, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Kelly, these Halloween Frankenstein’s Monster marshmallow pops are stinkin’ cute! Love that your dad named them Frankenmellows! Will pin to family diy boards during peak Pinterest time. Thanks for sharing!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — October 3rd, 2013 @ 7:56 am

Thanks so much, Stacy! Hope you’re having a great week! XOXO

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — October 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm

OH how CUTE!!! I just have to make these with my son!!! He will flip!!!

Gaby — October 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Cutest things I’ve seen today!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — October 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm

These are seriously awesome!

Melanie @ carmelmoments.com — October 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

Aren’t they adorable!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — October 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

These are so super-cute, Kelly! And I love “Frankenmallows!” :)

ashley - baker by nature — October 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm

These are SO stinkin’ adorable, Kelly! My nephew would go crazy over these :)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 3, 2013 at 4:36 pm

OMG these are awesome!! So impressed right now! :)

Sandra | Sandra's Easy Cooking — October 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Those are so darn adorable! Got to try it with my kids!

Marly — October 3, 2013 at 6:47 pm

These are so frankin’ cute (hee hee). I so have to find some vegetarian marshmallows to make this happen at our house. Love it!

Maggie @Maggiecooks — October 4, 2013 at 2:10 am

so so so so cute!!!! Wish I had enough patience to do this! :)

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — October 4, 2013 at 8:39 am

Kelly, these are just so cute I almost can’t stand it. I think I know what I’ll be bringing to my son’s school party!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — October 4, 2013 at 10:39 am

These are so cute!! “Frankenmallows” haha

Rachel @thedessertchronicles — October 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm

These are amazing! So cute and creative and your step by step photos are perfect. thank you!

Natasha @ The Cake Merchant — October 8, 2013 at 8:40 pm

This would be such a fun activity to do with my niece! Adorable!

Teresa — October 11, 2013 at 11:19 pm

How long can they store and how to store them please. I can’t wait to make them. I’m thinking of other ones to make

jhanes — October 13, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Where do you get edible markers?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — October 13th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

You can buy them on Amazon! Just click the link (it’s an affiliate link) in the ingredient list above.

Celeste & Pearl — October 23, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Kelly – we just discovered your blog and think these are absolutely darling! We want to feature them and you on our post of the best Halloween treats from around the web! Definitely check it out and thank you for the inspiration!! Keep it coming!

Warmest,
    Liz and Lo

{celesteandpearl.blogspot.com}

1. Pingback: Sifted: Spooky Marshmallow Pops, Droolworthy Gluten-Free Cookies + More | Cooking Bookmarks

2. Pingback: How to Make Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops | Parties 365

3. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Just a Spoonful of Sugar

4. Pingback: 20 Easy and Creative Halloween Recipes | mocochocodotcom

5. Pingback: Divertidos Frankensteins para Halloween - Recetín

6. Pingback: Halloween Spider Cookies | Jen's Favorite Cookies | Recipes & Photos

7. Pingback: Sunday Funday #3 | Foods for the Soul

8. Pingback: 30 bocados de miedo (Edición especial Halloween) | Cosas Molonas | Blog de Inspiración & DIY |

9. Pingback: Halloween Baking, Decorations & Zombie Wizard Name Picker… | Roman at Home Essentials Magazine Blog

10. Pingback: 60+ Halloween Recipes {Sweets, Snacks, Dinners, Drinks & More!} - Rachel Cooks

11. Pingback: 17 HEALTHY HALLOWEEN RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WEB | HealthFit Magazine

12. Pingback: Attack Of Frankenstein! - B. Lovely Events