I’ve been in a bit of a funky food swing lately.
My current food phase isn’t only a bit odd, but it’s insanely persistent. The random meal that’s graced my dinner plate eight out of the last 12 nights? Miso-glazed cod. Is that weird? If it’s not weird, then I’m pretty sure the word “normal” doesn’t apply.
Do you ever get into the groove of a certain dish and eat it non-stop, day after day, night after night, until you reach the point of sheer disgust? I wish I could say I’ve reached that point. But you better believe that if miso-glazed cod is on the menu, or available for takeout (shout-out to Hillstone Park Avenue South), I’m ordering it.
And this is where the corn comes in. Thank goodness for those golden kernels, because if it was up to my stomach, it’d be a sea of fish and umami. Sauté fresh corn, bright bell peppers, and onion in a bit of bacon fat and you have a seasonal side dish that looks just as great as it tastes. And as I recently discovered, also pairs unsurprisingly well with, you guessed it, miso-glazed cod.
Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a second fresh serving of content delivered straight to your inbox each week! And stay in touch on Facebook and Twitter for all of the latest updates.
Confetti Corn with Bacon
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced red peppers
- 1 cup diced orange peppers
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- Cook bacon in a large skillet. Remove bacon from pan and pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings. (Reserve any additional drippings.)
- Add onion to bacon drippings and sauté over medium-low heat until transluscent, about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and continue cooking 2 minutes. (If pan is too dry, add more bacon drippings or olive oil.)
- Add corn and continue cooking until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Chop up reserved bacon then add it back to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and then serve.