Make the most of overripe bananas and kick up a cookie classic with an easy recipe for soft and chewy Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Banana bread lovers, meet your cookie match! If you’re a fan of the classic quickbread, you’re going to love my fruity spin on the world’s most iconic cookie. This recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies is a great way to use up overripe bananas and add subtle banana flavor to a classic dessert.
It yields soft, chewy, cake-like cookies that are perfect for finishing with a hearty pinch of sea salt.
How to Turn Overripe Bananas Into Cookies
Banana bread may be everyone’s first thought when staring down a bunch of overripe bananas, but with a few simple recipe tweaks, you can transform that darkly-speckled fruit into the best Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies.
How to Add Bananas to Cookies
Bananas are a great addition to cookies. Not only do they serve as a natural sweetener, but they also lend moisture and contribute to a soft and chewy texture.
Given the important role they play in the consistency of a batter, it’s important to use the right ratio of flour and eggs to ensure your cookies hold their shape.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, chopped nuts or a mix
- Large-flake sea salt, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and mashed bananas and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips then scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle them with sea salt (optional).
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges begin to lightly brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them sit on the hot baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.