Transform spuds into the ultimate creamy side dish with a quick and easy recipe for The Best Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
You’re only five ingredients away from the silkiest, smoothest sweet potatoes to ever hit your lips. And it all comes down to the perfect balance of flavors (hello, chives and honey!) and especially the technique.
The easiest and fastest way to achieve incredibly creamy sweet potatoes is to follow these steps:
- Boil the diced potatoes.
- Beat the potatoes in a stand mixer.
- Season the potatoes with spices and herbs.
It’s really that simple!
Can Mashed Sweet Potatoes Be Made In Advance?
You betcha! This mashed version can be made and then kept warm in a slow cooker, without getting gummy. And just like that, you’ve freed up your oven and microwave from the inevitable game of holiday Tetris that is warming, re-warming and re-re-warming an arsenal of side dishes.
Healthy Mix-Ins for Mashed Sweet Potatoes
I leave it to my teenage girl band crushes to advise you on this one … spice up your life!
Spices are the single easiest and healthiest way to add big flavor to sweet potatoes without adding fat. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves all pair beautifully with the sweetness of the spuds. Herbs are also a wonderfully healthy addition. Chives, parsley, scallions and even cilantro are all welcome additions in this bowl of side dish deliciousness.
How to Make Dairy-Free Mashed Sweet Potatoes
If you’re looking to go the dairy-free or vegan route with your sweet potatoes, swap in ⅓ cup of coconut milk (full fat lends itself well for the best consistency) for the cream cheese.
How to Prevent Sweet Potatoes from Getting Gummy
Have no fear about your sweet potatoes getting gummy in the stand mixer. Beating them incorporates air without increasing starchiness, and the result is the lightest, fluffiest, most flavorful mashed sweet potatoes you’ll ever taste. Thanksgiving MVP, here you come!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh chives, plus more for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large stockpot then cover them with water. Add 2 teaspoons salt then place the stockpot over medium-high heat. Bring the water to a boil then reduce it to a simmer and cook the sweet potatoes until fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes then add them to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Immediately add the cream cheese, chives, cinnamon, honey, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix on low speed until the potatoes reach your desired texture.
- Taste and season the potatoes with salt and pepper then serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.