Whip up the ultimate appetizer, snack or salad addition with a quick and easy recipe for Fried Goat Cheese Balls that are deep-fried or made in an air fryer.
As a self-professed cheese lover, it takes a lot to wow me on the cheesy recipe front. I’ve created hundreds of ooey, gooey cheese-filled recipes, but never has one tickled my taste buds quite like Fried Goat Cheese Balls.
The Best Hot Cheese Appetizer
It’s as simple as that. This is, hands down, the best hot cheese appetizer on the planet. It’s a bold claim, but one I stand by firmly!
One taste of these creamy, crunchy, warm and gooey poppable bites and your appetizer, snack and salad game is never going to be the same. Best of all, they’re drizzled with a simple mix of fresh lemon juice and honey to seal the deal as the best hot cheese appetizer in existence!
How to Make Fried Goat Cheese Balls in an Air Fryer
This recipe is very easy to tweak if you’re looking to ditch the oil and make the goat cheese balls in an air fryer. Simply preheat your air fryer to 400°F, add the goat cheese balls then air-fry them for 5 minutes. Hot and crispy goat cheese balls await!
You can check out my favorite air fryer on Amazon, which has a large nonstick basket, is incredibly easy to use and even easier to clean.
- Deep-fry thermometer
- 8 oz. goat cheese, at room temp
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying (See Kelly's Notes for how to air fry)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Line a small baking sheet or plate with parchment or wax paper.
- Divide the goat cheese into 12 portions and roll it into balls. Arrange the balls on the baking sheet and freeze them for 20 minutes.
- Add the flour to a small bowl. Beat the egg in a second small bowl. Add the breadcrumbs to a third small bowl. Roll each of the frozen balls of goat cheese in the flour, then dip it in the egg and then into the breadcrumbs, coating it on all sides. Return the coated goat cheese ball to the baking sheet and repeat the coating process with the remaining balls.
- Add roughly 3 inches of oil to a large heavy-bottomed stock pot set over medium heat. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Once the oil reaches 360°F, add four or five balls and fry them, turning occasionally, until they are golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the goat cheese balls to the paper towel-lined plate and immediately season them with salt. Repeat the frying process with the remaining goat cheese balls, returning the oil to 360°F between each batch.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and honey. Drizzle the warm goat cheese balls with the lemon-honey and serve.
- To make goat cheese balls in an air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Spray the coated balls with cooking spray then air-fry them for about 5 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy.
- To prepare the goat cheese balls in advance, coat them with the breadcrumbs then store them in a sealable plastic bag or airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
This post may contain affiliate links.