Ditch the greens and get creative with a fast and fresh recipe for Melon Salad with Basil Vinaigrette.
Watermelon may be a summer staple in salads, but it’s time to up the ante with the ultimate melon trifecta: watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew!
This mix of sweet and juicy melons is the perfect way to switch up your greens game, making a lettuce-less salad that will convert salad-loathers into salad-lovers.
While melon is undoubtedly the star of the show here, the addition of a bright and herby basil vinaigrette makes this a guaranteed winner on the flavor front.
The simple combination of fresh basil, garlic, shallots, red wine vinegar, and olive oil comes together in seconds in a food processor or blender. The result? A dressing that’s as welcome on this melon salad as it is on any protein of your choosing, from grilled chicken and fish to sliced flank steak and sautéed shrimp.
Once you’ve successfully balled (or chopped!) your melons, it’s time to give them the royal treatment and dress them up for their big debut with the quick-fix basil vinaigrette and a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts for a deconstructed pesto-like addition to the flavor lineup.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
For the basil vinaigrette:
- 1 1/2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon roughly chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 1/2 a medium honeydew melon
- 1/2 a medium cantaloupe
- 1/2 small watermelon
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Make the vinaigrette:
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the basil, garlic, shallots and vinegar. With the motor running, stream in the olive oil and continue blending until the vinaigrette is smooth.
- Taste and season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper then set it aside.
Make the salad:
- Using a melon baller, scoop out balls from the honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Add the pine nuts.
- Drizzle the salad with the basil vinaigrette, then toss to combine and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.