Candied Bacon and Fried Eggs

Candied Bacon and Fried Eggs
Everyone knows if you eat something that’s candied while eating something else that’s fried, then the calories in those two foods just cancel each other out. It’s like multiplying two negative numbers to get a positive. Add bacon and eggs to the equation and you’ll be buying smaller jeans by the time you’re finished reading this post.

Your sticky-sweet success all comes down to a simple technique that guarantees the crispiest, crackliest crunch. Sound intriguing? Tune in below to discover just how easy it is to add a sweet twist to this savory favorite.

Now grab the eggs and get cracking by pairing candied bacon with fried eggs, or go big by dishing it out alongside Banana Nut PancakesSour Cream Coffee Cake MuffinsOvernight Egg and Sausage Strata, or more breakfast favorites.

Candied Bacon

Candied Bacon

Candied Bacon

Candied Bacon

Candied Bacon and Fried Eggs

Candied Bacon and Fried Eggs

Yield: 2 servings

Prep Time: 15 min (includes cooling)

Cook Time: 20 min

4 slices bacon
3 Tablespoons Turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
4 eggs
Brioche toast, or other bread, for serving

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, making sure to drain and reserve all of the fat drippings. Set the cooked bacon and drippings aside.

Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ¼ cup water and the Turbinado sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked bacon to the pan, tossing to evenly coat it in the syrup.

Position a drying rack over a sheet pan. Transfer the bacon to the rack and pour any remaining syrup over it. Allow the bacon to cool while you fry the eggs.

Fry the eggs in 1 to 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon drippings in a pan set over medium heat.

Serve the fried eggs atop toasted brioche with a side of candied bacon.

Recipe inspired by Mike Porsche of Egg restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

21 Responses to “Candied Bacon and Fried Eggs”

pam — November 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. Must have this now!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — November 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm

you had me at “Candied” This looks great! Hope your week is going well!

• Kelly replied: — November 10th, 2011 @ 2:03 am

Thanks, Alison! Pair this with your breakfast quinoa and we’d have quite the combo!

Vivek @ Vivek's Epicurean Adventures — November 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Such a great recipe, Kelly! I’m getting a huge slab of pork belly this weekend in order to make my own bacon, and once that whole process is done, I am totally making this dish! I’ve never candied bacon before, but this recipe makes it look really easy! Thanks for sharing.

• Kelly replied: — January 21st, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Thanks so much, Vivek! It’s actually way easier than imagined!

Elaina — November 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Candied Bacon…oh my goodness, you’ve done it again! How fabulously decadent this is! x

Emily @ HomeForTwo — November 9, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Oh my goodness! That looks so delicious! It’s like dipping your bacon in maple syrup, without the mess! I was already planning on eggs and toast for dinner tonight, but now I might have to add a side of candied bacon!

• Kelly replied: — November 10th, 2011 @ 2:01 am

Thanks, Emily!

Cassie — November 9, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Absolutely beautiful. I love the fact that you used turbinado sugar. Most candied bacon that I see uses maple syrup and I’m sadly not a fan of it. This sounds like my perfect kind of candied bacon, yum!

• Kelly replied: — November 10th, 2011 @ 2:00 am

Agreed, Cassie! The Turbinado sugar gives you the molasses taste, but a much thicker consistency.

Lauren @ hey, who cut the cheese? — November 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

This looks absolutely fantastic!!!

Bev Weidner — November 10, 2011 at 1:36 am

MY. MOUTH. IS. WATERING. DOWN. MY. FACE.

• Kelly replied: — November 10th, 2011 @ 2:00 am

Haha thank you, Bev! Can always count on your comments for a smile!

kamran siddiqi — November 10, 2011 at 3:41 am

I’m pretty sure I’ve died and gone to heaven. Candied bacon? Fried eggs? Yes please! :)

Kelly @ Evil Shenanigans — November 16, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I have never seen candied bacon made this way before, I usually use the oven to make mine, but the results are just beautiful! I will have to give this method a try.

• Kelly replied: — November 16th, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

I’ve tried the oven-style, but I think doing it over the stove in the thick syrup makes for a much better flavor. Enjoy!

tsc — January 14, 2012 at 7:08 am

Love this! Adding red pepper flakes to the candied bacon makes it even more delish!

• Kelly replied: — January 14th, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

I never thought of that and now cannot wait to try it! Thanks so much for the tip :)

Lori Ann @ Lori Ann's Food & Fam — October 13, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I’m so glad I found this recipe. My hubby & I stayed at a b&b and were served this for breakfast. Now I can make it at home! Thanks!

1. Pingback: Just a Taste » Cranberry Orange Juice Bread