Skip the store-bought bakery items and whip up this family favorite recipe for the best Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins with Streusel.
If you’re like me, then you like a little coffee cake with your streusel, which is why these Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins—starring alternating layers of extra-moist cake and cinnamon-sugar crumbles—are a breakfast dream.
Although the words “coffee cake” may prompt you to serve these bad boys for breakfast or brunch, the truth is, they’re just as good as an any-time snack as they are as dessert.
As we’ve learned time and time again, sour cream really is the secret to extra-moist and bakery-worthy baked goods. It lends a touch of tang while ensuring these muffins have the ultimate light and fluffy texture.
While I’m all for a classic slice of coffee cake (be it studded with raspberries or layered with strawberries), there’s just something about the appeal of a handheld breakfast. So you can skip the slicing and the forks and either spoon the batter directly into a greased muffin pan or use your muffin wrappers of choice.
I serve these coffee cake muffins hot from the oven slathered with unsalted butter. Whip up a bowl of my fave Fruit Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing and your breakfast or brunch spread is complete!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Cooking spray
For the streusel:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white or packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened and cubed
For the batter:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Make the streusel:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the butter, and using a fork, mash the mixture together until well combined. (The streusel should be the consistency of wet sand.) Set it aside.
Make the batter:
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set it aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, oil and sugar on medium speed until well mixed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, and then gradually beat in the flour mixture, sour cream and vanilla just until combined.
- Layer the batter and streusel in the prepared muffin pan by spooning a portion of the batter, then a sprinkle of streusel, topped by another portion of batter and a final sprinkle of streusel on top.
- Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool slightly in the muffin pan before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Batter recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.