Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

If it really is true that “you are what you eat,” then from the ages of 6 to 13, I was a walking, talking fruit snack. I was a Gushers crusher. A String Thing enthusiast. A Fruit by the Foot fanatic. (Shout-out to my fellow children of the 90s.)

The truth is, my enduring passion for all things fruity and chewy is a well-documented love story. But now that I’m old wise enough to understand the mile-long ingredient lists that accompany such snacks, I’ve resorted to getting my fruit snack fix the DIY way with a recipe for Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups. Sound challenging? Tune in to my video below to see just how easy it is to go from fresh fruit to fruit roll-ups.

These bright yellow beauties are 100% fruit, which means there’s no added sugar and no ingredients I can’t pronounce without phonetically sounding them out. There’s also no dehydrator required. So essentially, if you’ve got mangoes and an oven, you’ve got healthy homemade fruit roll-ups, which are the ultimate back-to-school snack for fruit leather lovers of all ages.

Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

Craving more? Sign up for the Just a Taste newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on FacebookTwitterPinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.

Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

Yield: About 8 fruit roll-ups

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 4 hours

4 cups diced ripe mango (from about 3 large mangoes)

Preheat the oven to 175ºF and line two rimmed baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.

Puree the mango in a food processor or blender until smooth.

Divide the purée evenly between the two prepared pans, and using an off-set spatula, spread the purée as flat and as evenly as possible until it's about 1/8-inch thick.

Bake the purée for 3 to 4 hours. (See Kelly's Notes.) The fruit roll-ups are done when the purée is dry to the touch and pliable. If the bottom side of the roll-ups is still wet after some time, flip the roll-ups over and continue baking them until they are fully dried.

Remove the roll-ups from the oven. Place a piece of wax paper on top of the roll-ups and then peel off the wax paper and the roll-ups together. Cut the sheet into long strips and then roll up the strips.

Kelly's Notes:

The total baking time will vary depending on the exact thickness of your fruit roll-ups and the differing temperatures of ovens.

The fruit roll-ups will last for up to 1 week when stored in an air-tight container.

Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste.

104 Responses to “Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups”

Noma — July 24, 2013 at 12:30 am

These look delicious, Kelly! Great idea for those of us who are tired of the usual strawberry roll ups. Thanks!

Tieghan — July 24, 2013 at 1:07 am

I have always wanted to make fruit roll ups, but when I did they turned out so crisp and awful! Yours look awesome and mango? Yes, please!! Thinking I need to try again!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 24, 2013 at 1:10 am

I love mangoes, these look amazing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 24, 2013 at 2:12 am

I do have a dehyd but I never make things with it that I post to my blog b/c I am overwhelmed with “but I don’t have a dehyd” comments so THESE are such a great thing, Kelly! Blown away by how PERFECT they look! And I love mango. TJ’s mango cubes and me are Bff’s. Pinned!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 24, 2013 at 2:17 am

Love that there is no added sugar in these. I could seriously munch on these all day!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 24, 2013 at 7:40 am

These fruit roll ups turned out PERFECT! And the flavour sounds so wonderfully refreshing!

Ashley — July 24, 2013 at 7:49 am

Oh gosh, my sister and I ate wayyyy too many fruit snacks when we were kids. These sound so much better than all of those! I love that it is mango – one of my favorites.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 24, 2013 at 7:52 am

Ooh that’s a flavor I haven’t made yet. Gorgeous color too – so eye popping! :)

Anna — July 24, 2013 at 8:53 am

I can’t do mangos. Is there another fruit this might work with? They look delicious, and I, too, am a fruit roll-up/fruit snack fiend.

• Kelly Senyei replied: — July 24th, 2013 @ 8:55 am

Hi, Anna! Yes, any other fruit will work with this technique. I’d recommend strawberries! And you can opt for either straining the strawberry seeds out of the purée before drying it, or just leaving them in. Enjoy!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — July 24, 2013 at 9:09 am

LOVE THIS! I’lll be making these with the kids this week. Miss you friend! email me soon!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — July 24, 2013 at 9:14 am

Loving this all-natural fruit snack recipe, Kelly! Thanks for sharing!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — July 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

Love that you used a nontraditional flavor to make these. I bet the consistency was perfect for making them too. I’ve made strawberry before and loved them so now I should make these!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — July 24, 2013 at 10:19 am

I lovelovelove that these are literally made from mangoes and that’s it. What a perfect healthy snack!

marcie@flavorthemoments — July 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

I can’t believe that’s all there is to it! You made it look easy, so I’m going to have to try them. That color is just beautiful, too!

JulieD — July 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

love this!! looks so easy to do!

Rachel @ My Adventures in Crazytown — July 24, 2013 at 11:27 am

These look amazing and I bet I can talk my picky eater into trying some if I call them “candy”. I cannot wait to try these out, thanks for sharing.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 24, 2013 at 11:47 am

These are awesome, Kelly! I’m definitely going to try them soon! Have you ever used any other fruit besides mango?

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 24, 2013 at 11:47 am

Oh sorry, just saw your response above! :)

Mealku — July 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm

These look amazing! Have to try this sometime.

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion — July 24, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Are you even serious… I didn’t know you could make your own!. I guess you can make anything. Thanks

Bill — July 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Mango is one of my favorite fruits. Great to know you can make these snacks that are pure mango without adding sugar. Thanks for a great post!

April — July 24, 2013 at 9:11 pm

In the photo, there is a metal screen/mesh in the bottom of the pan. Is this necessary?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — July 24th, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

That’s just the Silpat :) You can use a Silpat or parchment paper, as either works great!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — July 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm

These are so fun, Kelly! I adore mango.

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — July 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm

These are amazing!! I’ve made raspberries before but haven’t tried mangoes yet!

sam — July 25, 2013 at 3:31 am

Are you able to make them with defroasted frozen fruit?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — July 25th, 2013 @ 7:12 am

I have tried using defrosted fruit, Sam, so I can’t say with certainty. I do think there may be added moisture if you go that route, so they may take longer to dehydrate.

Breanna Bell — July 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

Kelly! This is genius! I loved these as a kid!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — July 25th, 2013 @ 10:13 am

Thank you, Breanna! I was also just slightly obsessed with them :)

sam — July 26, 2013 at 4:46 am

Thanks. I’ll give it a whirl and see how i go.

Laura — July 26, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I cannot wait to make these with my boys! They will love them!

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen — July 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I would have never guessed how simple these are!
    I loved fruit roll ups as well.. but my absolute faves were Dunk a Roos!!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — July 26th, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

I remember Dunk a Roos! Love those, too :)

Peter @ Feed Your Soul Too — July 26, 2013 at 8:03 pm

These roll ups were such a cool idea. I featured them on my Friday Five over @ Feed Your Soul Too – http://www.feedyoursoul2.com/2013/07/friday-five-fruit.html

Fred — July 28, 2013 at 4:32 am

That look so cool, great photos!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — July 28, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I love making homemade fruit rolls! Last summer I went crazy making homemade strawberry ones straight from the garden. These mango rolls look yummy!

Gina Caruso — July 29, 2013 at 11:51 am

OMG Kelly! I just bought mangoes yesterday for the heck of it and now I know what I’m going to do with them! Love this idea…and I still secretly like Gushers! :)

Rebecka — July 30, 2013 at 8:37 am

I’m in love, just made them and I am never eating candy again! At least not the sugarkind. The worst is that I already eaten all of them before My husband got Home from work, so I guess I just have to make some more. Jippie!

Jaclyn — August 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Your photos are always gorgeous!!

Vab — August 2, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I made these the other day but screwed up on the time. By the time I got them out of the oven, the edges were rather crispy but the underside was still tacky. My solution? I hung the sheet out on the clothesline for an hour.

Lauren Torres — August 6, 2013 at 4:46 pm

These look delicious! I just made blueberry ones but sweetened it with a tiny bit of honey for my 2 year old he loves blueberries (: got them in the oven right now can’t wait to see how they turn out!

Angie — August 17, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Great recipe, thanks for sharing. Any idea if these can be frozen and thawed later?

Amanda — August 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Could I use frozen fruit? I always have trouble finding good fresh mangos at market.

Elizabeth — September 5, 2013 at 7:36 pm

These look awesome! One question though- can you increase the oven temperature to cut down on baking time, or will that make them crispy?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — September 5th, 2013 @ 7:39 pm

Thanks, Elizabeth! I wouldn’t recommend increasing the oven temp, as they’ll burn too quickly. The lower temp helps them dry out without getting too crispy.

Eat Good 4 Life — September 6, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I made these yesterday. First batch was a bit of a disaster but the second batch was much better. I am posting the recipe in my blog so I will be linking back here. Your pictures and instructions, especially the video, are much better than mine :-) I am sure it will help a lot of my readers. Cheers!

Kristin — September 7, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Mine have been baking for almost 6 hours and I spread it pretty thin! What is going on?

Heather — September 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Do you think you can use frozen mango?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

Hi Heather! I’ve never tried this recipe using frozen mango, so I’m not sure if puréeing it would still work. The key is to have a smooth purée so it easily spreads into a thin sheet. Hope this helps!

LauraAnna — October 3, 2013 at 5:32 pm

So nice to find a recipe for roll-ups that is to the point and does not require extra ingredients. Just fruit – voila.

Ivy — October 7, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I just made these, using frozen mango, and it worked just fine, but, i let them cook a little too long and they were more like mango chips, still delicious. made me think i could add other things to the puree, like cooked butternut squash, for more nutrition for my 3 year old.

Nicole — October 20, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I defrosted fresh frozen mango cubes and pureed them. They turned out DELICIOUS, however they did come out as a weird brown color. Not so pretty but I can’t stop eating them!

Stephanie w — October 21, 2013 at 2:31 am

I tried mine long ago but they wherre crispy and burnt in some spots yet still not set in others..
    I tried twice same both times :S
    What am I doing wrong …?

Lora — October 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Fantastic idea! How providential! My daughter wanted to try mangos so I just purchased some fresh, and I can’t wait to try this recipe out it sounds super yummy. Especially since the store bought variety contain highly processed sugars and mainly pears…not exactly a flavor extravaganza! Thanks again for a great idea! I wonder if it would work with pomegranates?

Two Red Bowls — November 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I. Am. Obsessed WITH THIS! And omg, I was just like you at that age — I feel like my entire diet would have been fruit snacks and chewy processed fruit products if I had my way. I miss those days. ;) So happy to know that I could make this on my own if I wanted, it looks absolutely fantastic. Genius idea. Thanks for posting!

Victoria — November 28, 2013 at 3:33 am

I can’t wait to try these. I don’t have parchment paper though. Could I cook them on wax paper?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — November 28th, 2013 @ 10:03 pm

I wouldn’t use wax paper in the oven, Victoria, as even though the oven temp is very warm, you run the risk of it melting. Hope that helps!

Tom Braak — November 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Has anyone tried freezing them? Mango season just ended here in our part of Haiti, but I can likely find some in the city next week. Would love these. I might try papaya ones also. Or perhaps mix the two.

• Kelly Senyei replied: — November 28th, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

I’ve never tried freezing the fruit roll-ups, but I’m not sure how the texture would be once defrosted. Let me know if you try it out! Papaya would be great!

tonya — December 11, 2013 at 1:44 am

can I use frozen mangos?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — December 11th, 2013 @ 4:17 am

Hi Tonya! I’ve never tried this recipe with frozen mangoes, so I can’t say for certain if they will work. They may have a bit more moisture, so the roll-ups could take slightly longer to dehydrate. But other than that, my initial thought is that it should work just fine. Hope that helps!

Jens @ foodjunkies — December 11, 2013 at 4:01 am

Looks great!

shannon — January 8, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Made this and they did not come out anything like that picture. They were dried to a crisp and this was at 175 degrees for 3 hours what was not crispy was completely wet but I couldn’t leave it in longer because then it wouldn’t even be worth trying to save what wouldn’t be crispy.

• Kelly Senyei replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 8:05 am

Hi Shannon – I’m sorry the recipe didn’t turn out for you. Did you spread the mixture into an even layer and can you confirm that you oven was definitely 175F?

Katie B. — January 30, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I don’t have parchment paper or SilPats. Can I try greasing the pan?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

Hi Katie! The mango will stick if you grease the pan. The parchment paper or Silpat makes it so that you can easily pull and roll the fruit rollup off of the baking sheet, so I wouldn’t recommend making this recipe without it.

Hayle — February 3, 2014 at 5:35 am

Would I be able to mix fruits together? I have a few different fruits and wouldn’t mind mixing them together.

• Kelly Senyei replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 10:40 am

Hi Hayle! I’ve never tried mixing fruits, but I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Let me know if you try it!

Courtney Bags — February 4, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hi! I’ve made this recipe twice now. First time with fresh mangoes and strawberries combined and the second time with frozen tropical fruit. Both worked fine, mostly. I spread it as thin and evenly as you did in your pictures, but I keep getting sections that are completely still wet when most of it is dry (much drier looking than in your video). Any thoughts? I don’t know how to get it any more evenly spread, I also used an offset spatula and I have an oven thermometer (2 actually) so I know that the temp is correct. :( My 11 month old daughter still loves it anyway, I just don’t get a chance to actually roll them up because I just keep ripping off the done parts until the whole thing is cooked and shoving them into a ziplock baggie. Haha.

• Kelly Senyei replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 11:03 am

Hi Courtney! Love that you mixed the fruits. In terms of the sticky parts vs. dry parts, I’ve found it really just depends on how the heat circulates in your oven. It may help to frequently rotate the pan to try to make sure the hotter parts of the oven are closest to all areas of the baking sheet. Hope that helps!

Casey — February 6, 2014 at 7:13 am

Just made these last night = amazing! And there all gone. Whoops. :) Glad I know this recipe already before having kids. Can’t wait to make them a tasty healthy snack for them and momma lol.

Katie — February 7, 2014 at 9:56 am

Amazing!!! Im so excited to make this for my baby who is vegan and loves fruits ;) thank you!

Beth — February 10, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Looks fabulous! Going to give this a try for my son’s snack turn at school. I’ve just used up the last of our parchment paper and cannot easily run out and get more since I’ve recently had hip surgery…any other suggestions? Aluminum foil? Silicone baking sheet/pad? Thanks!

• Kelly Senyei replied: — February 10th, 2014 @ 10:50 pm

Hi Beth – Definitely don’t use aluminum foil, as it’ll stick. A Silpat will work great!

Sandra — February 16, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I made these using mangos and strawberrie. However, mine came out too hard to roll. They keep breaking. What did I do wrong?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — February 17th, 2014 @ 11:13 am

Hi Sandra – Do you have an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is running at the correct temp?

Audrey @ GlutenFreeVeganLove — February 19, 2014 at 12:59 am

These look so perfect! I’ve never tried making roll ups in the oven before (I thought they are a dehydrator-only kind of affair), so can’t wait to try the recipe to see how that works.

Brenda — February 21, 2014 at 12:18 pm

How young do you recommend these for? My baby is just over 1 yr.

• Kelly Senyei replied: — February 21st, 2014 @ 5:37 pm

Hi Brenda – I can’t recommend a specific age of child that should/shouldn’t eat these. But please note they’re very chewy so I’d be overly cautious.

Holly — March 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I’m going to try these out this weekend with my kids. I’m just wondering if they can be frozen after making. Because they only last up to a week in an air tight container, I don’t want to be making these every single week for their lunches. I’ve been searching all afternoon on many different sites but can’t find an answer. Would be nice to be able to make lots and just and freeze them and take them out as needed. Would you happen to know if they are freezable?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — March 15th, 2014 @ 12:30 pm

Hi Holly! I wouldn’t recommend freezing them, as they may crack and will not retain their chewy texture.

Lisa — March 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Does this work with frozen fruit too?

• Kelly Senyei replied: — March 25th, 2014 @ 12:26 pm

Hi Lisa – I’ve never tried making this recipe with frozen fruit, so I can’t say for certainty if it’d work or if the moisture content would make it harder/easier to dry out previously frozen fruit.

Vicente Campos — April 6, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

1. Pingback: Feed Your Soul Too – Friday Five – Fruit

2. Pingback: 8 Homemade Healthy Blogs - PinItLink Healty Post

3. Pingback: healthy homemade mango fruit roll-ups click here for recipe | Oh So Yummy

4. Pingback: Video: How to Cut a Mango | Just a Taste

5. Pingback: Mjam crea…/ Mango snoep matjes… | ~ * Pagan Ouderschap / Pagan Parenting * ~

6. Pingback: Homemade fruit roll-ups

7. Pingback: 12 Back-to-School Snack Recipes | Just a Taste

8. Pingback: Video: Easy Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups | Just a Taste

9. Pingback: Feel More In Tune with Your Body Through a Simple Elimination Diet, Part Two | Bloom & Nourish

10. Pingback: Clean Eating | fitness with autumn

11. Pingback: The Top 10 Recipes of 2013 | Just a Taste

12. Pingback: Top Five Friday Favorites | Ali Damron

13. Pingback: 15 Sugar Free Snacking Ideas

14. Pingback: Fruit Leathers and a Dehydrator Giveaway! | Virginia GeorgeVirginia George

15. Pingback: Strawberry Fruit Roll Ups | Little Family Adventure

16. Pingback: Pinterest Review: Copycat Fruit Rollups - Stumbling upon Happiness

17. Pingback: 23 Unique And Delightful Spring Fruit Recipes | GossipViews.com

18. Pingback: Homemade Fruit Roll Ups | briggstreehouse

19. Pingback: 23 Unique And Delightful Spring Fruit Recipes | Bringing the best news to the People