Wontons for dessert? Absolutely! All you need is five simple ingredients to transform a savory favorite into a show-stopping dessert with this recipe for Banana Chocolate Wonton Poppers.
Store-bought wonton wrappers are filled with semisweet or dark chocolate and sliced bananas, and then sealed and fried until golden. But before that wonton hits your lips, stop for a dunk in a pool of salted caramel sauce. Sweet, savory and all kinds of sensational.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 large banana
- 12 (1 1/2-inch) chocolate squares (See Kelly’s Notes)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Homemade or store-bought salted caramel sauce, for serving
- Deep-fry thermometer
- Arrange 12 wonton wrappers on your work surface. Cut the banana into 12 (1/4-inch) slices then place one chocolate square topped with one slice of banana in the center of each wonton wrapper. (See Kelly's Notes.)
- Using a pastry brush or your fingers, brush the egg around the edges of the wonton wrappers then place a second wrapper atop the chocolate and banana. Firmly press the edges together so the poppers are sealed.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Add at least 3 inches of oil to a large heavy-bottomed stock pot and attach the deep-fry thermometer to the side. Heat the oil until it reaches 360ºF. Carefully add 2 to 3 poppers to the hot oil and fry them for about 2 minutes, flipping as needed, until they’re golden brown. Immediately transfer the poppers to the paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat the frying with the remaining poppers, allowing the oil to return to 360ºF between each batch.
- Serve the poppers warm alongside caramel sauce for dipping.
- Choose your favorite type of chocolate and look for the 4-ounce size chocolate bars in your candy or baking aisles. The bars are often pre-cut into the perfect size squares for filling the wontons.
- Don't cut the banana slices too thick or it will be difficult to seal the wonton poppers.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.