Preheat your oven for the ultimate recipe for extra-moist and fluffy Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Moist banana cake plus thick, luscious swirls of tangy cream cheese frosting is a match made in dessert heaven. And that is why I had zero hesitation transforming my favorite banana cake recipe (of all 5-star reviews fame) into the beauties you see above: Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.
One look at the batter gives ample head’s up as to where we’re headed… on the path to moist, flavorful banana cupcake perfection.
Folding in mashed bananas not only provides the essential flavor profile for the sweets, but it also lends the intense moisture needed to make these banana cupcakes the best to ever hit your lips.
Once the cupcakes have cooled, it’s time to tackle the equally as important frosting.
There’s only one option worthy of banana cupcakes, and that’s sweet, tangy cream cheese frosting. Slathering it atop the cupcakes is totally acceptable, but to up your presentation factor, pipe it on with a star tip then add your crowning jewel atop: a dried banana chip.
That crispy, crunchy banana chip not only alludes to the cake that lies below, but it also serves as a welcome edible dipper for dunking in the frosting. Flavor meets function, and that is sweet success indeed!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, chilled
- 11 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Dried banana chips, for decorating (optional)
MAKE THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two muffins pans with paper cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Fold in the mashed bananas then portion out the batter into the muffin cups so that they are ¾ full. (This recipe yields about 30 cupcakes.)
- Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 22 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and set them aside to cool while you make the frosting.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the butter and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar into the bowl, then add the vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Slather the frosting atop the completely cooled cupcakes and top with dried banana chips (optional). (See Kelly's Note.)
- If you prefer to pipe the frosting, chill it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before transferring it to a piping bag or sealed plastic bag fitted with your choice of piping tip.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.