This simple salad is a great detox for all those who ate one too many chicken wings at yesterday’s Super Bowl party. Boiling beets is a great way to maintain their bright red color and to preserve the high concentration of fiber in this cholesterol-free root vegetable. I’m using Agave Nectar to caramelize the walnuts, but you can easily substitute honey to create a similar sweetness.
- 3 large red beets
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons Agave Nectar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Splenda
- 5 oz. goat cheese
- 1 cup arugula, lightly packed
- First make the candied walnuts by combining the walnuts and the Agave Nectar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the nuts until well coated then transfer them to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper to cool.
- Scrub the beets clean, leaving the peel on. Place the beets in a large pot of boiling water. Boil for 45 minutes to an hour, just until beets are tender and skin is easily removed.
- Remove the cooked beets from the pot, peel off the skin and slice into ¼" rounds (discard ends).
- Next, prepare the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and Splenda until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Plate the sliced beets on a bed of arugula then drizzle with prepared dressing. Top with portions of goat cheese and candied walnuts.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!