Skip the mess and stress and whip up soft and chewy Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies with a few simple ingredients.
Quick poll! Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies are:
A. Made with only four ingredients.
B. Take minutes to make.
C. Taste like the real deal, sans all the measuring.
D. All of the above.
Surprise, surprise. The winner is…. D! Because believe it or not, cake mix can be transformed into many a wondrous thing beyond the cake pan.
It makes a heck of a loaf of banana bread and has previously starred in a red velvet cookie recipe worthy of your local bakery case. So now we’re going back to the basics with the fastest and easiest way to satisfy your CCC craving, and there’s minimal measuring and mixing required.
The real key to ensuring cake mix cookies are soft, chewy, and perfectly crisped around the edges is to refrigerate the dough prior to scooping and baking. Avoiding this step will lead to cookies that spread too thin (unless crispy, chewy cookie bark is your thing). #itsmything
Using an ice cream scoop will also ensure uniform size and shape cookies, but two spoons will still get that dough from the bowl to the baking sheet and result in the same soft and chewy consistency.
And perhaps best of all, Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies leave the door wide open for customization when it comes to mix-ins. Keep it classic with chocolate chips or get creative with chopped nuts, toffee pieces, crushed pretzels and even Rice Krispies for a touch of airy crunch.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 (16.25-oz.) box white or yellow cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil then stir in ¾ cup of the mini chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat baking mats.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and using two spoons or a small ice cream scoop, portion out about 2 tablespoons of the dough into mounds on the baking sheet, spacing the mounds at least 2 inches apart. Add the remaining ¼ cup of the mini chocolate chips to the tops of the mounds.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes until they are pale golden. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes until set. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- Any brand of cake mix will work for this recipe, as long as it’s either 15.25 or 16.25 ounces. I prefer the ones with pudding in the mix because the resulting cookies are extra moist.
- Removing the cookies from the oven while they’e slightly underbaked will ensure a soft and chewy texture.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.