Banana bread has appeared in many varieties around these parts, from chocolate-swirled and peanut butter chip-topped to zucchini-packed and apple-filled. But now I’m making it even easier to satisfy those cravings with Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Banana Bread that transforms a store-bought staple into an extra-moist and flavorful breakfast (or anytime!) treat.
By using cake mix, you can sidestep all the measuring and sifting. Add a hearty dollop of sour cream and a cup of mini chocolate chips to the equation and you’re guaranteed to up the moist and flavor factors to make this the best. banana. bread. ever.
Looking for more ways to transform cake mix into anything but cake? Check out my favorite recipe for soft and chewy Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1 (16.25-oz.) box white or yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 8-inch loaf pans with parchment paper so that there is an overhang on the longer sides of the pans. Grease the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, oil, eggs, mashed bananas and sour cream until combined. Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips then divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans. Sprinkle the top of each loaf with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake the bread for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the loaves from the oven and transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Once cooled, use the parchment paper overhangs to lift the loaves out of the pans then slice and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.