This cake batter recipe is the standard recipe I use for all of my baking. It can be altered in an endless number of ways to make everything from bundt cakes to cinnamon coffee cakes to mini cupcakes. I adapted this vanilla flavored recipe from a recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks, The Cake Mix Doctor. And while the base of the batter is from a box, the added ingredients help transform routine cupcakes into stellar sweets. Swap in devil’s food cake mix for an equally as satisfying chocolate version.
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixmaster, combine the cake mix, sour cream, oil, water, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Blend the ingredients together on low speed for one minute.
- Pour the batter into cupcake cups or into a greased bundt pan.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed (if using a bundt pan, bake the cake for 50-55 minutes).
- Remove the cupcakes and allow them to cool before frosting or dusting with powdered sugar.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.