Sit back and snack on everyone’s favorite sweet and crunchy treat with a recipe for Easy Homemade Caramel Corn.
My mom and grandmother declare every holiday as the perfect excuse to send me my favorite treat—a tri-colored assortment of butter, cheddar and caramel popcorn from my best buddies over at The Popcorn Factory.
Since I polished off my latest tin weeks ago, and the next holiday shipment is way too far away, this kernel-crazed aficionado has resorted to making her own.
Few foods are as satisfying to crunch into as homemade caramel corn. That sticky, chewy, crispy bite satisfies like no other sweet and salty snack.
With a 10-minute prep time, and endless mix-in options, going the DIY route is much easier than you might think!
Homemade caramel corn begins with freshly popped kernels that are then tossed in a quick-fix combination of butter and sugar. But to really achieve the classic caramel corn consistency, the coated kernels are then baked until slightly crispy.
Serve this sweet and salty treat in bowls or go the extra accessible step and make parchment paper cones for finger-friendly snacking year-round.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unpopped popcorn
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF. Grease two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Add the vegetable oil to a large stockpot set over medium heat.
- Add the popcorn to the pot and cover it. Once you hear the first kernel pop, remove the pot from the heat for one minute. Return the covered pot to the heat, shaking it over the flame until all of the kernels have popped. Discard any unpopped kernels.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then allow the mixture to boil, undisturbed, for 4 minutes. Remove the caramel from the heat and stir in the baking soda.
- Immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn, stirring to coat the kernels.
- Transfer the coated popcorn onto the baking sheets, spreading it out into an even layer.
- Bake the popcorn for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove the caramel corn from the oven and stir it one more time before allowing it to cool completely. Break it into pieces and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
So so good but too addictive! Made it at Christmas for gifts for kids at church. Added dried cranberries and flaked almonds. The adults were grabbing the bags and eating the goodies then coming back for bags for their kids!!
Love this so much! Thanks for sharing, Devlyn!
Very addictive lol
Made this today for Christmas Eve and it was absolutely delicious and the family loved it. Will definitely make this again
I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe, Dee Dee!
A little time consuming but oh so good!
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Patty!
See More Comments