Turn your surplus spuds into the ultimate second-day snack with this quick and easy recipe for Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Muffins.
Leftovers lovers rejoice! Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes have finally met their match with a fork-free alternative: Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Muffins.
All you need is cheddar and chives to spin those spare spuds into something spectacular, as these muffins marry a crispy hash brown-inspired crust with a fluffy mashed potato middle.
Best of all, you can stir in any other ingredient extras, be it shredded turkey from your Thanksgiving feast or diced ham from surplus sandwich fixings. Load ’em up or keep ’em easy and cheesy in this clean-out-the-fridge favorite.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes (See Kelly’s Notes)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease a non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed potatoes, egg, ¾ cup cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons chopped chives. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Using an ice cream scoop, divide the potato mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan, packing the potatoes down into each cup.
- Bake the muffins for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown and crisp around the edges. Remove the pan from the oven, top the muffins with the remaining ¼ cup cheddar cheese and return them to the oven for 3 more minutes. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the muffins to a serving dish, top them with the remaining 1 tablespoon of chopped chives and serve immediately.
- When measuring leftover mashed potatoes, scoop and pack them into a measuring cup and then level it off.
- All mashed potatoes will vary in thickness. If your mashed potatoes are thinner in consistency, add an additional egg to the mixture to thicken it.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.