A dessert classic gets a welcome update with this simple and satisfying recipe for Cream Cheese Pound Cake.
If versatile desserts are your jam, then allow me to introduce you to a blank culinary canvas that’s begging for your creative spin: Cream Cheese Pound Cake.
This tried-and-tested recipe features a densely rich and moist pound cake that bakes up in a loaf pan for perfect slicing.
I’ve opted for a pinch of fresh orange zest and a splash of vanilla extract to enhance the flavor, but you could do any combination of citrus and extracts:
- Lime zest and coconut extract
- Lemon zest and almond extract
- Orange zest and rum extract
The flavor pairings are truly endless! Once you pick your zest and extract of choice, whip together this quick-fix batter then pop your pound cake into the oven so you can focus on the most important decision: What’s going on top?
Pillowy whipped cream and fresh berries are a given, but ice cream, lemon curd and a slathering of Nutella aren’t out of the question. Switch things up based on the season or your mood!
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Cooking spray
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan, at room temp
- 6 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Homemade or store-bought whipped cream, for serving
- Sliced strawberries, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9x5” loaf pan with cooking spray then line it with parchment paper so that it hangs over the two longer sides. Grease the parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the vanilla and orange zest and beat until combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low then add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition. Do not overmix the batter.
- Add the cake flour, baking powder and salt and beat just until combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake it until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Allow the pound cake to cool in the loaf pan for 1 hour before using the parchment paper overhangs to lift the pound cake out of the pan.
- Slice and serve the pound cake then top it with whipped cream and strawberries.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Did you try this recipe?
Share it with the world! Mention @justataste or tag #justatasterecipes!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
I made this over the weekend and it was absolute perfection!
I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe, Amy!
Love this recipe!! My sister is now making it too. The families rave about it!!
I’m so happy to read this, Donna!
It’s cooling now! Smells so wonderful and the batter was so tasty! LOL
Amazing! Enjoy, Terry!