Celebrate the season with a shortcut recipe for Easy Pumpkin Bundt Cake that transforms store-bought cake mix into the ultimate fall dessert.
Are you ready to whip up a magazine cover-worthy Halloween dessert? Look no further than this recipe for an Easy Pumpkin Bundt Cake, which I had the pleasure of starring with on the cover of the October issue of Woman’s World Magazine!
How to Make a Bundt Cake Look Like a Pumpkin
Sometimes it’s the simplest of recipes that make the biggest impression, and in this case, box cake mix has never looked so good. A simple spice or pumpkin cake mix turns into double the flavor and fun by stacking two bundt cakes atop one another to form the shape of a pumpkin. But the fun doesn’t stop there!
For the edible stem, an ice cream cone is slathered with green-tinted frosting and studded with green sprinkles before being inverted atop the cake. And last but not least, another store-bought shortcut for the win starts with one simple question…
Can You Melt Frosting to Make a Glaze?
Absolutely yes! Store-bought frosting becomes a perfect pourable glaze when microwaved for 30 to 45 seconds. It can be tinted any color, and in this case, a vibrant orange is the perfect decorative touch atop this two-layered pumpkin cake. The cakes stack well atop one another without any frosting in the center, but if you want to up the sweetness factor, slather a layer in between then let the stacking and glazing begin!
Pick up your copy of the October issue of Woman’s World Magazine to see this recipe (plus more of my favorite Halloween treats) wherever magazine are sold!Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- Cooking Spray
- 2 (15.25-oz.) boxes spice cake or chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups water, divided
- 6 large eggs, divided
- 2/3 cup sour cream, divided
- 1 (12-oz.) container vanilla frosting
- 1 cake ice cream cone
- Green food coloring
- Green sprinkles
- Orange food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9- or 10-cup bundt cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together one box of cake mix with ½ cup vegetable oil, 1 cup water, 3 large eggs and ⅓ cup sour cream. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely in the pan. Once the cake has cooled, invert it onto a serving platter, clean out the pan, and repeat the mixing and baking process with the remaining box of cake mix, vegetable oil, water, eggs and sour cream.
- To assemble the cake, arrange the second cake on top of the first to form a pumpkin shape. (If needed, trim the bottom portions of the cakes to make them flat.)
- Add about 3 tablespoons of the frosting to a small bowl then tint it green with food coloring. Spread the green food coloring on the ice cream cone then decorate it with sprinkles.
- Add the remaining frosting to a microwave-safe bowl then tint it orange with food coloring. Microwave it until pourable, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the orange frosting atop the completely cooled cakes then place the ice cream cone in the center to form the pumpkin stem.
- Cut the cake into slices and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.