As summer comes to an end, I find myself turning to the last of my “beat the heat” recipes in order to steer clear of preheating ovens and slaving over the stove. My sweet and savory four bean salad is a perfect refreshing side that can be made a day or more in advance of your barbecue or party. So entertain with ease while you enjoy a recipe that’s light on both your wallet and your waistline.
- 1 can cut green beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can cut waxed yellow beans
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Drain and rinse the cut green beans, kidney beans, waxed yellow beans and garbanzo beans. Transfer to a large bowl and add the chopped onion and green bell pepper.
- Simmer the vegetable oil, cider vinegar, sugar (or sugar substitute), salt and pepper over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for up to 24 hours before serving.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!