Skip the store-bought pasta salads in favor of this family favorite recipe for Greek Orzo Salad tossed in a homemade red wine vinaigrette.
Everyone needs a go-to pasta salad recipe that covers all the necessary bases:
- It can be whipped up in minutes.
- It can be enjoyed hot, cold or at room temp.
- It can be made with whatever random odds and ends are in your fridge and pantry.
- It can be easily transported to picnics, barbecues, the beach, school lunch boxes, etc.
rivalsbeats the store-bought deli version.
Check, check, check, check anddddd check. This Greek Orzo Salad is all that and a bag of homemade barbecue potato chips.
Orzo and I are only recent acquaintances. When it comes to pasta, I’m usually more of a penne, cavatappi or linguine kinda gal. But when your little boy (who is 9 months going on 19 years in the appetite department) makes the jump to solid foods, I’ve learned that orzo is the perfect training food to get his single tooth ready for a whole lot of chewing.
Perhaps best of all, this salad is packed with 100 percent homemade taste, starring fresh veggies, feta cheese and a super-quick red wine vinaigrette. It maintains its flavor when chilled or kept at room temp and can be made a day in advance. So go ahead and let this Greek Orzo Salad make entertaining any size crowd a total breeze this summer or any other season.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Ready to dine al fresco? Celebrate the great outdoors with additional picnic food recipes.
The Best Broccoli Salad with Bacon: Get the Recipe
Potato Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing: Get the Recipe
Watermelon Salad with Balsamic Syrup: Get the Recipe
For the orzo salad:
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 cups diced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2/3 cup diced red onions
- 2/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook it until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the orzo and add it to a large bowl.
- Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives and feta cheese to the bowl.
Make the vinaigrette:
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and sugar. While whisking, stream in the olive then taste and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the pasta and toss to combine. Enjoy the salad immediately at room temperature or cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it until ready to serve.
- This salad is best if you give it an hour or two to marinate in the fridge before serving. It can also be made up to one day in advance and stored, covered with plastic wrap, in the fridge.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.