Skip the store-bought snacks and whip up a family favorite recipe for soft and chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars.
It may seem odd to crave a texture rather than a taste, but there’s just something about chewy foods that has driven both of my pregnancies. Baby #1 was all about the…
bagels! And with just a few short weeks left until we meet our newest addition, Homemade Peanut Butter Granola Bars have been on the regular rotation at our house.
Much like their culinary cousin, Homemade Chocolate Chip Granola Bars, this DIY snack steers clear of any crispiness in favor of every element I’ve ever known a spectacular granola bar to encompass: chewy, chewy, chewy andddd more chewiness.
I like a granola bar that you can really sink your teeth into. These bars satisfy every chewy craving imaginable, with the added bonus that they’re packed with peanut butter for some good ol’ fashioned protein.
The p.b. flavor is courtesy of both the creamy good stuff and peanut butter chips. Toss in a few chocolate chips for a touch of sweetness and you, too, may be destined to skip the store-bought granola bars for good.
Looking for more DIY granola? Don’t miss my go-to recipe for Easy Homemade Granola that can be customized with all of your favorite chopped nuts and dried fruits for the ultimate make-ahead breakfast-slash-snack.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (regular or reduced fat)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 13x9-inch nonstick baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, honey, egg, oil and vanilla extract with a handheld beater until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together the oats, brown sugar and salt. Add the oat mixture to the peanut butter mixture and stir until well combined then stir in the peanut butter chips and mini chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan, pressing it into an even layer.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool completely before slicing the granola into bars and serving.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.