Preheat your oven for a tried-and-tested recipe for Easy Coconut Macaroons that are soft and chewy in the center and perfectly crispy around the edges.
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
These sweet, chewy and oh-so-addicting treats couldn’t be more simple to make. You’ll need two bowls and your choice of a whisk (plus some elbow grease!) or a handheld mixer/stand mixer. In less than 10 minutes, you’ll be scooping the coconut mounds onto a baking sheet and popping them in the oven.
Baking the macaroons at 325°F allows the centers to remain moist and bake through while the tops get evenly golden brown and toasted on all sides.
What Do Egg Whites Do in Macaroons?
The egg whites in this recipe are whipped until stiff peaks form and are then folded into the coconut mixture. The whipped egg whites provide structure in the macaroons so that they don’t collapse while baking.
Are Coconut Macaroons Gluten Free?
Yes! Assuming you confirm the flaked coconut and sweetened condensed milk ingredients are both labeled “gluten-free,” (which they should be!), then these tasty treats are gluten-free.
- 1 (14-oz.) bag sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate melting wafers
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flaked coconut, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the whipped egg whites to the coconut mixture and fold until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, scoop out 3-tablespoon mounds of the coconut mixture and arrange them on the baking sheets, spacing each mound 1 inch apart.
- Bake the macaroons until dark golden on top, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the macaroons from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips and vegetable oil in the microwave or a double-boiler, stirring until smooth. Drizzle the cooled macaroons with the chocolate, top with sprinkles and let set until the chocolate is firm, about 10 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links.