Mixing spinach into rice is a great way to incorporate a healthy vegetable into a side dish without compromising flavor or texture. The leafy veggie will soak up any ingredient you add to it, so I’ve used a garlic-infused olive oil as the main flavor of this simple side dish. Toss in some brown rice and salty Parmesan cheese and you’ve got a unique twist on classic cheesy rice. You can also experiment by adding toasted pine nuts to give an added crunch to each bite.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen spinach
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Begin by combining the brown rice and the water in a saucepan and bringing the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid, reduce the heat and let simmer for 45 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a serving bowl. Set aside.
- Defrost the spinach by placing it in a bowl and microwaving for 6-7 minutes until thawed.
- Strain the frozen spinach in a sieve to remove all liquid (you can also just ring it out in your hands, but make sure to remove as much liquid as possible.)
- Add two Tablespoons of olive oil to a pan set over low heat. Add the garlic and saute in the oil for 5 minutes until garlic is golden brown.
- Add the drained spinach to the garlic-infused olive oil and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to the bowl with the cooked rice, folding the ingredients into each other.
- While the mixture is still hot, add Parmesan cheese and salt.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.