Add a healthy spin to a dessert favorite with a frosty recipe for Peanut Butter and Banana Nice Cream Sandwiches.
Homemade banana ice cream, minus the cream, the eggs, the added sugar and the expensive ice cream machine leaves us with one simple thing: frozen bananas.
Slicing, freezing and blending the bananas (or using my store-bought frozen bag-o-bananas shortcut) results in a quick-fix treat that has the consistency of soft serve and the taste of pure fruit.
I’ve added a splash of vanilla and sandwiched the frozen treat between two peanut butter cookies for the ultimate summer splurge. Roll your nice cream sandwiches in crushed peanuts or sprinkles for an easy but impressive upgrade.
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 2 medium bananas or 3 cups store-bought frozen banana slices
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 8 store-bought or homemade peanut butter cookies
- Crushed peanuts or sprinkles, for decorating (optional)
- Peel the bananas and slice them into 1/4" rounds. Place them on a plate and cover the plate with plastic wrap. Place the bananas in the freezer for 2 hours, or until frozen.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the frozen bananas and vanilla extract. Pulse until the bananas turn into a creamy texture, about 1 minute.
- Arrange four cookies flat side up and divide the banana nice cream among the cookies. Add a second cookie on top, pressing to seal together each sandwich.
- If desired, immediately roll each ice cream sandwich in crushed peanuts or sprinkles.
- Wrap each ice cream sandwich securely in plastic wrap and freeze it until solid, a minimum of 2 hours, then serve.
- ★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Recipe by Kelly Senyei of Just a Taste. Please do not reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.